You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on 4x6 Paper size from Airprint on Iphone 14

So, this is actually a problem WITH the solution. I have been struggling with this for months. I was able to print just fine from my iphone / ipad for years, and then at some point we tried to print a photo on photo paper (which of course I had the wrong kind of photo paper) so that didn't work, but nonetheless after that, I couldn't print to regular sizes from any mobile device anymore. It works fine from laptops, but not from iphones/ipads etc.

I read forum after forum and I couldn't find the answer, the options wouldn't show up on my iphone, it was set to 4x6, with no other options. I tried solution after solution, including downloading the HP smart app, nothing worked. BTW it's an HP LaserJet MFPMD77dw but I think this will apply to lots of people who seem to still be having this problem out there.

Here was the solution:

• Open printer/settings --> options&supplies --> show printer webpage (that link doesn't work, you can look on your printer for the printer IP address and just pop that IP address into your web browser, it will likely give you a warning saying that it's unsecure, so just say yes to that link and continue to the printer webpage)
  • On the printer webpage you need to go to SYSTEM --> Paper Setup
  • Something obviously went wrong somewhere along the line and forced these defaults in Tray 1 to 4x6, Photo paper, instead of "Any paper" -- so just switch the settings back to "Any Paper" / "Any size" and then -->Apply

That fixed it for me and now all my iphone/ipad devices print fine again. Thank goodness.

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 9:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 10:15 AM

I am using Iphone pro max using ios 17.1.1 and have an Hp Envy Pro 6400 All in one and my Safari browser is only showing 5x7 glossy photo paper, no other settings, my hp shows all correct paper sizes, my ipad shows letter size to print, any suggestions to fix this Apple

Similar questions

16 replies

Nov 2, 2023 11:37 AM in response to styles01

Same problem with iPhone 12 mini and Canon MG7700 series printer. Last AirPrint to computer set at 4x6 for photograph - cassette 1 set to same setting - all OK. However - next print required A4 but could not change the print size from 4x6

By accident discovered solution. In cassette 1 on printer change paper size to 'others' and load cassette - OK.

Then revert to iPhone item you wish to print e.g. email from your inbox. Select print and your print size should revert to A4 - select this and the print options menu available complete.

Similar to above but specific to Canon printers and bypasses steps 1 & 2 above.

It worked for me but indicates the communication between iPhone and printer is initially controlled by the printer.

Hope this is useful for you.

May 28, 2024 2:26 PM in response to styles01

I had the same problem and I think I found a very easy solution. With the printer on, I removed the paper tray, then reattached it, went to the same setting page I was on when I switched the paper size to 4x6 and changed it back to letter size and, voila! It seems to have worked. I’m using an HP Office Jet Pro 8025e. Good luck!

Jul 17, 2024 3:56 PM in response to styles01

Tried a couple of these things and what worked for me was to remove the paper tray and then switch the paper size on my Brothers MFC-J995DW printer back to ‘Letter’ from ‘4x6’ on the printer screen. I closed the document on my iPad and then I turned the printer off and back on and reopened the document. When I selected AirPrint, it was set back to Letter in the options box. Apparently the paper size can’t be selected from the AirPrint options which seems counterintuitive.

Jul 17, 2024 5:17 PM in response to WVBucsfan

WV! I’m over here in the eastern panhandle. I’m currently looking for a printer that does AirPrint from my Mac or iPhone without printer brand app or drivers Am I ok going off topic a bit and asking you if your hp 8210 is working reliably with Apple?

I know I’ll never get away from HP violating my privacy and device storage but the old one won’t connect and I need a printer that works for me and my small biz stuff.

Thanks for your consideration and GO BUCKS! 😂 Ohio dad in Columbus so I gotta be loyal or at least respectful

Stuck on 4x6 Paper size from Airprint on Iphone 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.