Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

My iPad doesn’t have “fixed position volume controls”

Like the title says my iPad doesn’t have fixed volume controls when I go to sounds in settings

My iPad is an iPad Air & the OS is 16.4.1

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 2:59 PM

Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. The “logic” behind dynamic volume controls is such that regardless of the screen orientation, the relative function remains constant - as follows:

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a vertical edge of the iPad, the uppermost button will always increase the volume. Conversely, lower button will decrease the volume.

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a horizontal edge of then iPad, the button on the right will increase the volume - while the button on the left will decrease the volume.

For reasons known only to Apple, the ability to disable this feature is not available for any new models of iPad and iPad Pro that have since been launched - these models being:

• iPad Air5
  • iPad mini6
  • fourth generation iPad Pro 11”
  • sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9”
  • iPad10

This is documented within this recently updated Apple Support document:

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

Apple invite submission of constructive comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback pages. If you would like to see the ability to disable dynamic volume control functions for your iPad, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make your voice heard:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2023 2:59 PM in response to stairsthewell

Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. The “logic” behind dynamic volume controls is such that regardless of the screen orientation, the relative function remains constant - as follows:

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a vertical edge of the iPad, the uppermost button will always increase the volume. Conversely, lower button will decrease the volume.

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a horizontal edge of then iPad, the button on the right will increase the volume - while the button on the left will decrease the volume.

For reasons known only to Apple, the ability to disable this feature is not available for any new models of iPad and iPad Pro that have since been launched - these models being:

• iPad Air5
  • iPad mini6
  • fourth generation iPad Pro 11”
  • sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9”
  • iPad10

This is documented within this recently updated Apple Support document:

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

Apple invite submission of constructive comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback pages. If you would like to see the ability to disable dynamic volume control functions for your iPad, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make your voice heard:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

My iPad doesn’t have “fixed position volume controls”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.