Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Apple Watch says it’s paired when it’s not, and I can’t update it to pair with my phone

I’m having a super frustrating time trying to update my Apple Watch and pair it with my phone after the update. The same 3 messages happen in order whenever I try to pair it. Now the watch has been unpaired to my phone, but when I try to pair it back with my phone it says it’s already paired to *a* phone. I can’t get it to pair anymore and I’m ready to smash it with a hammer since it’s been 4 hours of this. When I tried to update it it said that my wifi wasn’t connected but it was. I don’t know what to do, I’m at my wits end. Apple support hasn’t helped and have been telling me to do the same things I’ve already been doing for 4 hours. Please help me.

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 8:58 PM

What series watch is it? What watchOS? What model iPhone? What iOS version?

Try this to make sure the watch is unpaired from "a" iPhone:

• With a web browser, go to: https://www.iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. Open Find My iPhone and select All Devices (at the top). Then click your Apple Watch, select 'Erase Apple Watch', and select Next until the device is erased. Finally click "X" next to remove your Apple Watch.

Then try to setup the watch. Maybe these articles will help:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you see 'Unable to Verify Update' when updating Apple Watch - Apple Support

FWIW a lot of people have had trouble updating a series 3 watch. With the limited memory in a series 3 watch, your best option may be to make an appointment at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store near you and let them look at it:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

See the replies to:

Series 3 Apple Watch Setup Fails At Updat… - Apple Community

Apple Watch 3 is stuck on preparing updat… - Apple Community

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2023 8:58 PM in response to Mimouu

What series watch is it? What watchOS? What model iPhone? What iOS version?

Try this to make sure the watch is unpaired from "a" iPhone:

• With a web browser, go to: https://www.iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. Open Find My iPhone and select All Devices (at the top). Then click your Apple Watch, select 'Erase Apple Watch', and select Next until the device is erased. Finally click "X" next to remove your Apple Watch.

Then try to setup the watch. Maybe these articles will help:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you see 'Unable to Verify Update' when updating Apple Watch - Apple Support

FWIW a lot of people have had trouble updating a series 3 watch. With the limited memory in a series 3 watch, your best option may be to make an appointment at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store near you and let them look at it:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

See the replies to:

Series 3 Apple Watch Setup Fails At Updat… - Apple Community

Apple Watch 3 is stuck on preparing updat… - Apple Community

Apple Watch says it’s paired when it’s not, and I can’t update it to pair with my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.