iMessages appearing on more than one device

My iMessages appear on my phone, but also my husbands phone? Why? How do I stop that?

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 5:41 PM

This usually happens when both phones are signed into the same Apple ID. iMessage syncs across all devices logged into the same Apple ID.

To stop your messages from appearing on your husband’s phone, you need to sign out of your Apple ID on his device. Here’s how you can do that:

1. On your husband’s iPhone, go to Settings.

2. At the top, tap on the Apple ID banner (where your name and picture appear).

3. Scroll down and tap on “Sign Out” at the bottom.

After signing out, your husband can sign in with his own Apple ID.

However, keep in mind that this will also stop syncing other data like contacts, photos, and iCloud files on your husband’s iPhone. If he wants to keep using these services, he’ll need to sign in with his own Apple ID.

If you both want to continue to share App Store purchases, you can consider setting up Family Sharing, which allows you to share App Store purchases, an Apple Music family plan, an iCloud storage plan, and more, while still maintaining separate Apple IDs.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2023 5:41 PM in response to jimmyjames1959

This usually happens when both phones are signed into the same Apple ID. iMessage syncs across all devices logged into the same Apple ID.

To stop your messages from appearing on your husband’s phone, you need to sign out of your Apple ID on his device. Here’s how you can do that:

1. On your husband’s iPhone, go to Settings.

2. At the top, tap on the Apple ID banner (where your name and picture appear).

3. Scroll down and tap on “Sign Out” at the bottom.

After signing out, your husband can sign in with his own Apple ID.

However, keep in mind that this will also stop syncing other data like contacts, photos, and iCloud files on your husband’s iPhone. If he wants to keep using these services, he’ll need to sign in with his own Apple ID.

If you both want to continue to share App Store purchases, you can consider setting up Family Sharing, which allows you to share App Store purchases, an Apple Music family plan, an iCloud storage plan, and more, while still maintaining separate Apple IDs.

Jun 5, 2023 5:42 PM in response to jimmyjames1959

Not to be sneaky, but on your husbands phone.......

Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive

Under the heading of You Can Receive iMessages to and Reply From.....make sure that only his phone number and email are checked.

In other words, if your phone number and/or email are checked, then your husband can see iMessages sent to and from your phone.

Of course, there is nothing that will stop him from changing the settings, if he is used to seeing your messages and he wonders why they are no longer appearing on his phone.

iMessages appearing on more than one device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.