does the new macbook air 15 support 2 external monitors

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 8:22 AM

This is more like saying I bought a drill that had the ability to drill 3" inch holes but the onboard sensor detected when i used over a 2” hole saw and stopped the drill from turning. It’s anti-consumerism to lock out functions on hardware that can support them. It’s mad that Intel i3’s from 2012 could do multi monitor but the M1/2 cant. The M2 is an amazing tool and perfectly capable of driving these displays, the people making feature rationing decisions at Apple are the problem. Only by voicing this can we hope for change otherwise next they will remove the headphone jack and claim the M3 cant support it because the mac has inbuilt speakers.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2023 8:22 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

This is more like saying I bought a drill that had the ability to drill 3" inch holes but the onboard sensor detected when i used over a 2” hole saw and stopped the drill from turning. It’s anti-consumerism to lock out functions on hardware that can support them. It’s mad that Intel i3’s from 2012 could do multi monitor but the M1/2 cant. The M2 is an amazing tool and perfectly capable of driving these displays, the people making feature rationing decisions at Apple are the problem. Only by voicing this can we hope for change otherwise next they will remove the headphone jack and claim the M3 cant support it because the mac has inbuilt speakers.

Aug 21, 2023 11:02 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

RE: FWIW, There are differences in capabilities, functionality, and price points. It sounds like you purchased a lower priced computer assuming it would have the same capability as a higher priced computer with the higher spec chip. The computer you purchased does not support your needs so you are now arguing that it should. The hardware is different (different cpu) and the specifications are very clear (one external display). You can buy a Mac that supports multiple external displays.

Sorry that your computer does not do what you need it to do. Arguing here is of no value and will not change the spec. You can provide feedback to Apple here: Product Feedback - Apple

This is true. They are clearly defined. Its just that I had the equivalent computer before I bought this one. A 15" Macbook Pro from like 2016 or something. Thunderbolt 2 ports, that's how old. It has support for multiple external displays natively, no problem. Just get the thunderbolt 2 to HDMI and boom 2 even 3 displays while my computer sits closed in a dock.

Why in the world would it even come to anyone's mind that the upgraded equivalent, with a whole new architecture that is supposed to increase capability, would not support something so simple as two external HD displays?

Look, I admit, I should have read the specs carefully. I've learned my lesson that I can't trust Apple. I thought I could, cause I just didn't think that a Macbook pro of any spec would not support multiple external displays. Its ludicrous to me and the majority of people. This type of practice is why consumer laws are put in place. I'm not saying there should be laws, I'm saying it feels like a bait and switch from a company I love, and they should stop doing it.

Jun 9, 2023 5:53 AM in response to Servant of Cats

I am quite confused by what you mean. It's been shown they can support 2 external monitors, but not via the native software because It's not supported. How would you like me to refer to it?

Also you are likely confusing other users here, I am trying to let people know that:

1. Two external monitors are not natively supported
  2. The M1/M2 have the capacity to run multiple external monitors which you can do via a display-link dongle/adaptor and software
  3. Apple could fix this in software anytime they choose via an update.

Jun 6, 2023 2:10 AM in response to bmarkoff

Apple limit external display output artificially. The M2 is capable of driving multiple monitors. It is advertised that they have Thunderbolt 3 and Displayport 2 support which shows capacity for 2 screens (40gb/s) then limit functionality in software. IMO they need to remove the software limitation or remove advertising these specs from the product descriptions.

Jun 6, 2023 8:53 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Heres the thing I have put feedback there, as have many others, this is much more public and may make people rethink a purchase. I think you need to reevaluate what a lower priced computer is. A £1250+ M2 Mac Air is not that. Also for many people they will not read the spec, as laptops supporting multi monitors have become the norm.

Feature rationing applied like this isn't about capabilities it's about making people pay more for features that could be on less expensive devices. We don’t need a higher spec chips we need the software lock removed, or at least eased to the level where it actually maps to the capability of the M1/2 chips. 

Lastly, 

"Arguing here is of no value and will not change the spec."

It literally could, Apple could patch this whenever they choose to, and I would like to see it patched.

Jun 6, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Slartibartfast_42

Slartibartfast_42 wrote:

FWIW, There are differences in capabilities, functionality, and price points. It sounds like you purchased a lower priced computer assuming it would have the same capability as a higher priced computer with the higher spec chip. The computer you purchased does not support your needs so you are now arguing that it should. The hardware is different (different cpu) and the specifications are very clear (one external display). You can buy a Mac that supports multiple external displays.

Sorry that your computer does not do what you need it to do. Arguing here is of no value and will not change the spec. You can provide feedback to Apple here: Product Feedback - Apple

Jun 5, 2023 8:02 PM in response to bmarkoff

bmarkoff Said:

"does the new macbook air 15 support 2 external monitors"

-------

No.

1. Go Here: Connect One or More External Displays with your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Connect the displays with a cable
  3. As it Reads: "For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can connect a single external display to your Mac. Docks don’t increase the number of displays you can connect. On a Mac mini with M1 chip, you can connect a second display to the HDMI port"

Jun 9, 2023 9:14 AM in response to Slartibartfast_42

I am quite confused by what you mean. It's been shown they can support 2 external monitors, but not via the native software because It's not supported. How would you like me to refer to it?

When you keep talking about a 'software lock' and artificial restrictions, you give other readers the impression that the machines MUST be able to support more first-class hardware video outputs. Unless you're an Apple engineer with access to internal documentation on the detailed capabilities of the M1/M2 chips and on the OS, access that would be subject to employment / non-disclosure agreements, chances are YOU DON"T KNOW if those chips could support more first-class hardware video outputs or not.

Also you are likely confusing other users here, I am trying to let people know that:

1. Two external monitors are not natively supported
    2. The M1/M2 have the capacity to run multiple external monitors which you can do via a display-link dongle/adaptor and software
    3. Apple could fix this in software anytime they choose via an update.

How do you know whether #3 (that Apple could "fix" #1 at any time with a software patch) is true or not?

Jun 5, 2023 8:43 PM in response to bmarkoff

No. It's basically the same as the 13" M2 MacBook Air, except that it has a larger screen, and weighs more (3.3 pounds vs. 2.7 pounds). The 14" and 16" MacBook Pros are the ones that have M2 Pro and M2 Max chips, and assorted goodies that seem to go along with the higher-end chips.

A couple of other differences (from Apple's comparison tool):

• The 15" M2 Air always comes with 10 GPU cores, whereas some 13" M2 Airs come with only 8.
  • The 15" M2 Air has a six-speaker sound system instead of a four-speaker one. I believe that both have sound systems that are upgraded compared to the one in the 13" M1 Air.

Jun 5, 2023 9:20 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles – That Apple support article doesn't yet have an entry for the M2 chip. The rules seem to be the same for the base M2 chip as for the base M1 chip (two displays total, including any built-in one) - with one significant difference.

On a M1 Mini, you can only connect one monitor using Thunderbolt or USB-C.

On a M2 Mini, you can connect two monitors that way (if you leave the HDMI port unused). This accounts for why the M1 Mini has Thunderbolt 3 rather than Thunderbolt 4.

Jun 6, 2023 8:17 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

It is a workaround it's used by many people. A normal even £300 TB3 dock will not make a difference as its been software limited. The displaylink tech does some magic and makes it work. Your other comment:

Docks don’t increase the number of displays supported. Use of a dock provides the ability to attach more displays but the Mac's software and OS do not support the use of multiple external displays and the display performance (resolution/speed/quality) will be deteriorated to the point of being unsatisfactory/unusable.

Is also incorrect, as many people do use this and report it works fine. Not as well as native support would work but well enough.

Jun 6, 2023 4:39 PM in response to Kidxanga

Slartibartfast_42 Said:

I’ll need to challenge the M1 MacBooks capabilities since at our job site with Dell dock D6000 and displaylink drivers we are able to project on two screens. We have this set up for all our MacBooks users.

———-

Getting 3 External Displays:

Well, something interesting I came across the other day: My J5 USB-C Dual HDMI Docking Station allows for more then two extra monitors. How so? Well, plug in my projector to my Mac using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and then plug the J5 hub with 2 HDMI displays (one 4K), and I have 3 external screens. It all mirrors and extends. Who knew?!

Aug 3, 2023 6:35 AM in response to rgvasquez

rgvasquez Said:

[…]I just purchased a 15" MBA and came here because it won't work with two external monitors! The second one is not connecting, but as soon as I unplug the first one, the second one is detected and connects.[….]

———-

Connecting Three Displays:

Try the docking station that I mentioned in my previous reply. Works like a charm!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.