How to type the backslash and pipe characters on an ISO keyboard ?

Hi !

I am quite new to Macbook so sorry for this stupid question. But... where are the pipe and backslash keys on my MacBook Air M1 ? I am using a French ISO keyboard.

Thanks !

Loic

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 12:47 PM

5 replies

Jun 6, 2023 1:21 PM in response to looic78

On the French ABC-Azerty keyboard layout there is no direct way to access the pipe or backslash.

You can use a different layout from System Settings ➜ Keyboard ➜ Input Sources / Edit and add a different layout that does offer the pipe and the backslash.

The French-PC layout has the Pipe above the Y while holding down the option key, and the backslash above the i also while holding down the option key.

Jun 7, 2023 9:14 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

Phil0124 wrote: On the French ABC-Azerty keyboard layout there is no direct way to access the pipe or backslash.
That's mistaken, there's no need to use a different layout. Pipe and Backslash are part of ASCII and have to be there somewhere. French PC will not match the Apple keyboard.

I stand corrected.

I failed to use the option+shift modifier when checking the available characters.

Just checked with option and with shift separately.

😉

How to type the backslash and pipe characters on an ISO keyboard ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.