Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

New mail rules disappearing after closing Mail app

When I create a new mail rule or delete an old rule, everything works fine until I close and re-launch the mail app. At that point, the new rules are gone and the deleted rules are back.

I have tried:

1) unlinking iCloud via system settings, creating/deleting the rules, quitting and relaunching Mail (problem persists)

2) creating a new rule in mail using iCloud.com (problem persists)

2) booting in safe mode, creating/deleting the rules, quitting and relaunching Mail while still in safe mode (problem persists)

I am running:

MacBook Pro 13" (2020, M1 chip)

MacOS Ventura version 13.4 (22F66)

Mail version 16.0 (3731.600.7)

Any thoughts on what else to try?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 3:23 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 8, 2023 12:16 AM in response to MrHoffman

Well, I got rid of all the ad blockers/cleaners/virus n malware scanner/remover things and the vpn. And still no joy.

I decided I’d just do a clean install of Ventura. That worked! So I added my vpn back and tested mail again — still worked! I added back my ad blocker…still worked! So maybe it was the cleaner app and/or something else messed up somewhere. Anyhow, I’m satisfied :)

thanks for your help - and especially introducing me to that EtreCheck program :)

Jun 8, 2023 8:48 AM in response to alysynn

Add-on first-few-hops VPNs are too often a privacy disaster, and too many badly solved a problem that hasn’t existed for a decade or so. (Too many of the add-on security apps are similarly problematic.) If you want some browsing privacy, the existing iCloud+ Private Relay feature might interest, as that uses the existing VPNs (the add-on VPNs add a second and weak VPN around the first and much stronger VPNs, and adds that only for the first few hops), and adds a VPN for DNS traffic.

Jun 8, 2023 1:35 PM in response to MrHoffman

ah—that is good to know. I have noticed the ‘new’ (to me at least as I only recently upgraded from a 2014 MacBook as well as an iPhone X) ‘built-in’ (lack of better term) VPN entries and the Private Relay options in the system settings etc, but admittedly have more or less ignored them and not read up on what they do/offer. I think I will do this reading/learning sooner now, rather than later. I appreciate your thoughts :)

Aug 18, 2023 7:44 AM in response to alysynn

I tried deleting and reinstalling the email accounts to no good end. rebooted. Set up additional user account and the problem did not exist - everything normal and rule remained. Went to Internet Accounts in Settings in my original user account and turned off every email account and rebooted. Returned to Mail, turned on all Internet accounts and entered new rule. Rebooted. checked settings again and the new rule remained. Rebooted and new rule was gone. I had to do this process 2-3 times to fix the issue (no explanation at all why repeating the process fixed the issue). So far it is remaining as an operative rule.

Aug 18, 2023 8:35 AM in response to Friend3

There has been the appearance of some very low level iCloud corruption in very occasional cases, both sometimes locally and in iCloud. I’ve seen maybe a half dozen cases over the past decade or so, across a whole bunch of systems.

The fix for those cache incoherency tends to be setting that feature to the other way or to the wrong way or whatever, restarting and quite possibly restarting Macs via Safe Mode, and re-enabling the feature, across all systems sharing the Apple ID. This usually drags things back into synchronization.

And if there are add-on security apps including the heavily-hyped first-few-hops VPNs, those can tangle or block networking, and can get things further tangled.

Updating to current macOS is always in play too, as Apple tends to fix bugs quietly.

New mail rules disappearing after closing Mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.