Shared Photo Album Issues (many issues) - not user friendly

I am simply trying to get .mp4 videos from my gopro into my a shared apple photo album. So easy with Amazon...but my family wanted me to try apple. Here is what I did.

1) Created a shared album on my iphone (no problem)

2) shared it with the family (no problem)

3) took a bunch of photos and videos on my iphone and added to album (no problem)

4) While diving I took a bunch of photos on my gopro and a bunch of MP4 format videos - now I want to add them to the shared album but I do NOT want them all on my iphone (why would I want to hog a bunch of space on my phone - the files are very happy on my windows PC)

5) Downloaded those gopro photos and videos to my windows PC (no problem)

6) Downloaded icloud for windows bc I could not upload the MP4s direclty to icloud via a chrome browser (for reasons that I do not understand, icloud will not allow you to upload MP4s directly)

7) I can now see the shared album in Windows Explorer...but when I dag the MP4 files to the PC they appear only on the Shared Album on my PC and never seem appear in the album when I access it from y phone

So confused. I am giving this one last try in the forum here and then just going back to Amazon.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 10:50 PM

sboarder2 wrote:

7) I can now see the shared album in Windows Explorer...but when I dag the MP4 files to the PC they appear only on the Shared Album on my PC and never seem appear in the album when I access it from y phone

File types that you can use in Shared AlbumsShared Albums support these image formats:

• HEIF
  • JPEG
  • RAW*
  • PNG
  • GIF
  • TIFF

Shared Albums also support special formats that you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, Live Photos, and Memory videos. When shared, photos are reduced to 2048 pixels on the long edge, except panoramic photos, which can be up to 5400 pixels wide. You can share GIFs that are 100MB or smaller.

Shared Albums support these video file types and formats:

• HEVC
  • MP4
  • QuickTime 
  • H.264
  • MPEG-4 

Videos can be up to fifteen minutes in length and are delivered at up to 720p resolution.

* You can't upload RAW photos to Shared Albums on your Windows PC.

Shared Albums upload a copy of your data. Downloaded content may not contain the same information as the original.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2023 10:50 PM in response to sboarder2

sboarder2 wrote:

File types that you can use in Shared AlbumsShared Albums support these image formats:

• HEIF
  • JPEG
  • RAW*
  • PNG
  • GIF
  • TIFF

Shared Albums also support special formats that you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, Live Photos, and Memory videos. When shared, photos are reduced to 2048 pixels on the long edge, except panoramic photos, which can be up to 5400 pixels wide. You can share GIFs that are 100MB or smaller.

Shared Albums support these video file types and formats:

• HEVC
  • MP4
  • QuickTime 
  • H.264
  • MPEG-4 

Videos can be up to fifteen minutes in length and are delivered at up to 720p resolution.

* You can't upload RAW photos to Shared Albums on your Windows PC.

Shared Albums upload a copy of your data. Downloaded content may not contain the same information as the original.

Jun 6, 2023 10:48 PM in response to sboarder2

sboarder2 wrote:

3) took a bunch of photos and videos on my iphone and added to album (no problem)
4) While diving I took a bunch of photos on my gopro and a bunch of MP4 format videos - now I want to add them to the shared album but I do NOT want them all on my iphone (why would I want to hog a bunch of space on my phone - the files are very happy on my windows PC)
5) Downloaded those gopro photos and videos to my windows PC (no problem)
6) Downloaded icloud for windows bc I could not upload the MP4s direclty to icloud via a chrome browser (for reasons that I do not understand, icloud will not allow you to upload MP4s directly)

Probably you are using third-party apps and/or a third-party device.

If you are experiencing any difficulty with third-party apps or a specific website or a product then please contact the app developer or site publisher/host or the manufacturer directly. Here is how

• To contact an App developer --> How to contact an app developer - Apple Support
  • To contact a web publisher —> Scroll Down to the bottom of the web page. You will find: Contact Us, Help Center, Support, Terms of use, etc.
  • To contact the Manufacturer --> Please read the manual that may have come along with the product.

Shared Photo Album Issues (many issues) - not user friendly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.