Why cant I add names from contact list to a new group?

I have clicked +, and created a new group, and tried dragging names across to it, from my existing All Contacts

None of the names is accepted

THis is not a Smart group, just a group of friends

I cannot understand why I am not able to add any names, including my own.

Help Please..

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 5:13 AM

It sounds like some glitch may have confused the OS.

If a simple reboot of your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (5 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode is non-destructive to user data. It’s not a cure-all, but very often corrects weird software behavior by forcing the OS to do cache clearing and other housekeeping. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Often not required, but consider allowing the Mac to "soak" in Safe mode for a couple hours to allow maintenance routines and processes time to complete, then exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 5:13 AM in response to l f fromsalisbury

It sounds like some glitch may have confused the OS.

If a simple reboot of your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (5 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode is non-destructive to user data. It’s not a cure-all, but very often corrects weird software behavior by forcing the OS to do cache clearing and other housekeeping. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Often not required, but consider allowing the Mac to "soak" in Safe mode for a couple hours to allow maintenance routines and processes time to complete, then exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Jun 7, 2023 6:01 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

I thought you had kindly sorted the problem, but after adding 4 names, the problem recurred. I repeated your suggestion of doing a re-start in Safe Mode, but the problem has not been solved - I still can not add any more names.

I then Shut Down, and pressed the shift key on re-start - it did not however say it was in Safe Mode - and the problem was not solved.

Im not sure how to 'remain' in Safe Mode - does that mean just not signing in, or is there some other point?

Jun 7, 2023 6:27 AM in response to l f fromsalisbury

Safe booting the Mac is best done with a wired USB keyboard. If you are using a newer wireless Apple Magic Keyboard, plug it into the computer with the Lightning cable it shipped with and it will work as a USB keyboard.

Note - it's a good idea to always keep a USB keyboard handy for troubleshooting situations like this.

To Safe boot the Mac, press the power button to turn it on or restart it. When the startup chime sounds, immediately press and hold the Shift key until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. You will know you are successful when the login screen appears and the words "Safe boot" appear in red in the menu bar at the upper right corner of the screen. If "Safe boot" does not appear, try again.

The Mac will remain in Safe mode until you shut down or restart it.

Jun 7, 2023 6:53 AM in response to l f fromsalisbury

You're using an older Magic Keyboard. 🙂

It might still work, but timing the keypress will be hit or miss. Try pressing/holding the Shift key at different moments in the start cycle, i.e. right when you press the power button or immediately after the chime, or... (you get the idea).

It'll be easier if you can borrow a USB from another computer, even a pc keyboard will work, though the Windows key will = the Mac Command key (⌘).

No, the iPad will be no help.

Jun 7, 2023 8:28 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thank you for your patience, and very kind help. At the moment I have left the iMac in Safe mode - although there is no sound, or light movement to show any signs of the computer re-setting itself.

Mail has always been a problem, with the whirling rainbow a frequent occurrence.

I will try to borrow a keyboard tomorrow and see if that does the trick.

Jun 7, 2023 8:29 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thank you for your patience, and very kind help. At the moment I have left the iMac in Safe mode - although there is no sound, or light movement to show any signs of the computer re-setting itself.

Mail has always been a problem, with the whirling rainbow a frequent occurrence.

I will try to borrow a keyboard tomorrow and see if that does the trick.

Jun 8, 2023 6:16 AM in response to l f fromsalisbury

FINAL!

I thought you might like some feedback, in addition to my warm thanks.

D.I.Johnson - thank you for your advice. I switched on in Safe Mode, and left the computer overnight, without logging in, and in the morning - as you suggested - I re=started the iMac and LO!! I could drag names into my new group.

After 6 names it refused - but this time, I did a 'Force Quit' of address book, and when it reopened it allowed the rest of my selection to be transferred.

Why cant I add names from contact list to a new group?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.