Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Apple health app

Why isn’t the Apple health app compatible with iPads?

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 8:45 AM

Why? This is because Apple have not, to date, released a version of the Health App for iPad.

Not all Apple Apps are available for both iPad and iPhone - some only being available (and compatible with) one or other platform. Very often, system hardware upon which some functions rely is only included on iPhone or iPad.

While many aspects of iPhone and iPad are similar, there are very significant differences between the two platforms. An iPad is not, simply, an enlarged iPhone with a big screen.

At this time, the Health App is only available for iPhone. That said, Apple have announced that the Apple Health App will be coming to compatible models of iPad with release of iPadOS17 - this release being expected sometime during September/October.

More information about some of the new features, coming to iPadOS17, can be found here:

iPadOS 17 Preview - Apple

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 8:45 AM in response to TRB47

Why? This is because Apple have not, to date, released a version of the Health App for iPad.

Not all Apple Apps are available for both iPad and iPhone - some only being available (and compatible with) one or other platform. Very often, system hardware upon which some functions rely is only included on iPhone or iPad.

While many aspects of iPhone and iPad are similar, there are very significant differences between the two platforms. An iPad is not, simply, an enlarged iPhone with a big screen.

At this time, the Health App is only available for iPhone. That said, Apple have announced that the Apple Health App will be coming to compatible models of iPad with release of iPadOS17 - this release being expected sometime during September/October.

More information about some of the new features, coming to iPadOS17, can be found here:

iPadOS 17 Preview - Apple

Aug 2, 2023 6:34 AM in response to DesertRatR

DesertRatR wrote:

Would be helpful id Apple updated their own site web pages to state iPad Health app not available. Any and all recent Apple health app pages state the app is available for both devices.

And where pray tell does it say the Health App is available on iPad exactly?

i can find nowhere in Apple’s support documents where it states it’s available on iPad.

Sep 8, 2023 11:47 AM in response to filbert42

filbert42 wrote:

'And where pray tell does it say the Health App is available on iPad exactly?'

On the App Store...

When I look at the Health app in the App Store on my iPhone, under "compatibility", it has a long list of iPads listed as compatible. Well over a screen full. It includes my iPad Air 3rd gen. Of course it's baloney. 

That is in fact an error. Its not currently supported on iPad. It is coming to iPad with iOS 17 however. So it may just be an early update to the App store entry since it goes as far as including screens shots from the iPad version.

But it doesn't even appear in the App Store on my iPad only on my iPhone, if I airdrop the link to my iPad from my iPhone it simply states its not compatible.

Wait a few more days and it should be available with iOS 17.

Sep 14, 2023 2:11 PM in response to Brewersj25

Brewersj25 wrote:

Well why does it say on the App Store that the apple health app IS compatible with iPad. Is that a lie? If so then that’s a flawed system and if not then why can’t I download it? Clearly Apple can’t get their stuff in order and are currently lieing to their customers.

Did you bother to read the post immediately above yours? It answers this very question.

Apple health app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.