Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iMac and Macbook Pro, I want them essentially to be the same computer

I travel for work quite a bit and I am getting my master's. I like using the desktop at home and when I do my papers and download my reading material to the desktop, I want them to go right to the laptop as well. I am even ok if there was a way to just have everything on both computers communicating with each other and making sure all the folders I need from one to the other are exactly the same. I really just want both of these to be the exact same computer, but I know that is not possible. I have tried to find an answer here, but I am probably not asking with the right words. any help would be great thanks

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 12:23 PM

Turn on iCloud desktop and documents on both machines. make sure you have enough icloud storage to hold all of your data. This will sync your documents folder and desktop to both machines.

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

5 replies

Jun 7, 2023 12:55 PM in response to wvubeerman

Right-click on that iCloud Drive Masters folder and choose Make Alias. That will create a Masters alias file in the same location. Now, press the option-key (to copy) and drag and drop that Masters alias to the Desktop on each Mac. When you click that Masters alias icon on either Mac Desktop, it will open a new Finder window on that folder's iCloud contents.

iMac and Macbook Pro, I want them essentially to be the same computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.