How to set up child's device so I can unlock it if it becomes disabled/unavailable?

Hi, I am legal guardian of my developmentally delayed child (age 21). She has her own device, an iPad. When I set up her device last year I set it up independent of mine. She has her own iCloud etc. However, there was a recent problem where she got locked out of her device when another child got ahold of it. So now I want to add her device to my account so that if that happens again, it will be easier to unlock the device. Do I need to add her device/ID to Family Sharing then? Will her info AND mine on Family Sharing (on her end) be private if someone gets ahold of her iPad? What is the purpose of "Family Sharing"? Also, how to add her device to Find My app?

Thanks.

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 9:00 AM

Start here:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Family Sharing does not give anyone else in the group access to your private information.

However, if your daughter is locked out of her device, you're still going to need to going to need to restore the device.

If you forgot your iPad passcode - Apple Support

1 reply

How to set up child's device so I can unlock it if it becomes disabled/unavailable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.