How do I disable the animation of the Spotlight search box in Finder?

Effective search in Finder is the one most essential feature on the computer, and it was one of the major reasons that I shifted from a Windows machine to Apple a few decades ago. It seems now that with an update from Catalina to Ventura that this function has deteriorated somewhat.

I typically use the keyboard shortcuts cmd-N followed by cmd-F. Previously I could seamlessly continue typing my search query. With the update from Catalina to Ventura, I now have to interrupt my typing for a split second, otherwise the first letters will not be registered.

1. How do I turn off the animation of the Spotlight search box in Finder?

To make matters worse and what makes the above a real problem, the new search algorithm is not based on "contains". Instead, it turns out be based on "contains word that starts with". In other words, if I type "amilyguy", Spotlight will not find a file with the name "Familyguy" in Ventura. The problem with this feature is that if I do not allow the search box animation to play out fully before continuing to type, the first letters will not be entered, thus rendering my search useless.

2. Is there a way to enable a search algorithm that is based on "contains" rather than "contains word that starts with"?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 8:09 PM

1. Make sure your window is wide enough to not shrink the search field, or remove other tools such that it doesn't shrink.
  2. Not without using the search criteria.

It is interesting that this article says you can use the contains: search keyword, but it doesn't work.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jun 8, 2023 9:21 AM in response to JOANES

JOANES wrote:

Effective search in Finder is the one most essential feature on the computer, and it was one of the major reasons that I shifted from a Windows machine to Apple a few decades ago. It seems now that with an update from Catalina to Ventura that this function has deteriorated somewhat.

I typically use the keyboard shortcuts cmd-N followed by cmd-F. Previously I could seamlessly continue typing my search query. With the update from Catalina to Ventura, I now have to interrupt my typing for a split second, otherwise the first letters will not be registered.

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback for both your issues, here: Product Feedback - Apple

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Jun 8, 2023 11:09 AM in response to dialabrain

I just checked on an old Mac with Sierra. Indeed, my question 2 does not refer to only Ventura. Also Sierra has a search algorithm that is based on "contains word that begins with" rather than "contains".

On the other hand, there is no problem with animation of the search box in Sierra at least. I can type cmd-F and immediately type. All letters show up in the box.

Jun 8, 2023 1:02 PM in response to dialabrain

Yes, "Animate opening applications" is disabled in System Settings. It does not apply to the search box. I made a screen shot movie and stepping forward one frame at a time, one can see that only once the box is fully animated it will accept text.

It is not a bid delay, but it disrupts the flow which is really annoying.

How do I disable the animation of the Spotlight search box in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.