Attention aware won't turn off

I have turned attention aware off in settings. I have checked numerous times to confirm it's off over the last few months. It did appear to stop for a month or two, but it has randomly come back (even though it's still 'off') recently. I am 100% confident it is correctly turned off according to the Apple instructions on how to turn it off.

It's driving me insane. I listen to podcasts all the time and everytime I get a notification or my head goes near my phone it goes down to imperceptible levels of noise, and then it takes a full minute to get back to volume, only to go down again shortly after when a notification goes off, etc. It's really, really messing with my routine.

I have never had an Apple feature that is so annoying and disruptive, let alone one I cannot turn off.

I have an Iphone 12 Mini, ios 16.1.1

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2024 2:15 PM

I also have an iPhone 12 Mini with this same issue. I pull out my phone or glance at it for whatever reason and anything I’m playing gets very quiet for an annoyingly long time unless. When it’s a more serious problem (I’m listening to something as part of my workflow), I can only manually adjust the volume in Settings to get it back to normal. Attention Awareness is off but it still happens. Restarting doesn’t help. Toggling AA on and off doesn’t help. I can so easily lower the volume myself when I need to and have never come across a useful scenario for the feature. I want to make it stop. Edit: it looks like I’ve already commented on this issue. Still waiting for a real solution.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2024 2:15 PM in response to lindsay5889

I also have an iPhone 12 Mini with this same issue. I pull out my phone or glance at it for whatever reason and anything I’m playing gets very quiet for an annoyingly long time unless. When it’s a more serious problem (I’m listening to something as part of my workflow), I can only manually adjust the volume in Settings to get it back to normal. Attention Awareness is off but it still happens. Restarting doesn’t help. Toggling AA on and off doesn’t help. I can so easily lower the volume myself when I need to and have never come across a useful scenario for the feature. I want to make it stop. Edit: it looks like I’ve already commented on this issue. Still waiting for a real solution.

Oct 28, 2023 1:10 PM in response to lindsay5889

Have you found a solution? This has been a problem for me the last month or so. I have all attention aware settings off and reduce loud sounds off. I work with my phone playing music or a podcast and every time I check something on my phone, the sound goes quiet and I can’t hear anything for a while unless I manually adjust the sound settings on the phone to get it back to normal. It’s driving me nuts.

May 23, 2024 10:19 AM in response to Appleidforme0

Appleidforme0 wrote:

Also on iPhone 12 mini, OS 17.3, also have shut AA off, toggled on and off etc., nothing will stop the volume from going down. I cannot for the life of me understand the purpose of this ‘feature’.. it even does it when I have headphones on. It seems like this isn’t a problem for many people.. is it iPhone mini specific perhaps? pls Apple! There are dozens of us!

Apple isn't here. This is a user to user only forum. Attention Aware, has nothing to do with the volume going down when a notification comes in, if that's what anyone is thinking. Attention Aware simply reduces the volume of incoming calls ring tone, once the phone is aware you are looking at it.

If you are listening to music, watching a video or a podcast and a notification comes in, the phone will reduce the volume of what you may listening/watching and then raise the volume again after the notification. This is normal and as Apple designed it to work.

If you don't like the feature, this isn't the place to try to tell Apple. You can provide feedback to Apple here --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

May 23, 2024 9:59 AM in response to lindsay5889

Also on iPhone 12 mini, OS 17.3, also have shut AA off, toggled on and off etc., nothing will stop the volume from going down. I cannot for the life of me understand the purpose of this ‘feature’.. it even does it when I have headphones on. It seems like this isn’t a problem for many people.. is it iPhone mini specific perhaps? pls Apple! There are dozens of us!

Attention aware won't turn off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.