Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple TV 4K NO SIGNAL/INPUT issue

I bought the Apple TV 4K 2022.

I have a Samsung 2022 4K TV.

There is a random problem: when the TV has been turned off for several hours or overnight, the TV says NO SIGNAL when I open the Apple TV with the Apple TV controller. I have to manually select the HDMI source with the TV controller and the signal comes back.

This problem can happen once every two or three days.

This problem never happens when the TV has been turned off for one or two hours.

I tried another cable and another HDMI socket and I have the same problem.

I didn't have this issue with my other 2013 Samsung HDTV and the same Apple TV 4K.

I understand that this problem has been happening for a few years with the Apple TV 4K.

Does anyone have this same problem?

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 11:11 PM

You’ll need to make sure you’ve enabled your remotes to turn on the Apple TV so it will switch imputs

See: Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote. And Control your TV and volume with the Siri Remote - Apple Support.

Make sure that HDMI-CEC is on - you will need to look in your tv menus and settings to apply this. See: If you can't control your Apple TV with your home theater or universal remote - for info on that.

If you apply the above settings using the links and instructions in the provided documents you should be able to ask Siri on any Siri enabled device to “turn on my livingroom Apple TV” Or use the Home App tv icon power button. If it’s still not switching inputs , also tap on the Apple TV icon in the Home App. If you’re still having issues, try restarting your tv and Apple tv

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 11:11 PM in response to Sting74

You’ll need to make sure you’ve enabled your remotes to turn on the Apple TV so it will switch imputs

See: Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote. And Control your TV and volume with the Siri Remote - Apple Support.

Make sure that HDMI-CEC is on - you will need to look in your tv menus and settings to apply this. See: If you can't control your Apple TV with your home theater or universal remote - for info on that.

If you apply the above settings using the links and instructions in the provided documents you should be able to ask Siri on any Siri enabled device to “turn on my livingroom Apple TV” Or use the Home App tv icon power button. If it’s still not switching inputs , also tap on the Apple TV icon in the Home App. If you’re still having issues, try restarting your tv and Apple tv

Jun 13, 2023 4:13 PM in response to Sting74

Hello

Mine is doing the same now on my Sony tv. It works until I leave the tv off for a couple of days.

• There is one setting you need to have On.
  • In ATV Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Control TVs and Receivers﹥On. I have that On though. Also on your Samsung: Anynet+ enabled.

If the Apple tv is at fault you can submit feedback here: Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Jun 26, 2023 12:58 PM in response to Vancouver22

After trying without success all the usual stuff (change cable, change input, cycling power, restart Apple Tv, ETC....) found on the Internet about the "NO SIGNAL" issue, I tried something else: instead of starting my setup with the Apple TV remote, I used the Samsung TV remote.

IT IS WORST ! Using the Samsung remote results in the TV opening first, then the TV says "NO SIGNAL"... Of course, it's because the Apple TV starts a couple of seconds later when using Samsun remote.

When the Apple TV is finally awake, the Samsung TV shows the image of hte Apple TV after a couple of hesitations. BUT every time I starts my setup that way, the TV will loose signal from the Apple TV after 1 or 2 minutes. I have to use the Samsung remote to manualy click on the source to get the image back.

So, it is definitely an HDMI-CEC problem ? I can't turn it off on my TV since it's controlling my Samsung Q-Hamony soundbar via eARC.

And why this HDMI-CEC do not happend on my other TV's with Chromecast or Apple TV HD ?

Technician sent by Sasmsung (but not a Samsung employee) came home and tell me that the TV is not the problem. For him, the porblem comes from the Apple TV 4K after running diagnostics on the Samsung TV.

The only thing I can do know is go the the AppleStore for a repair or an exchage (I'm still under warranty until December 16th.

What do you think ?

Jun 27, 2023 4:56 PM in response to Sting74

Have you tried other HDMI cables? Or another port? I can’t switch ports , I need it to be on eARC.

Mine is doing the opposite now, won’t stop coming on every time one of my HomePod automations run. However mine was never losing the input signal once it did turn on. My other tv is set up completely different on a switch box.

See if this troubleshooting article is of any help: If your Apple TV doesn't turn on or shows a black screen - Apple Support

If you’re going to go to the trouble of exchanging it and having to go through set up from scratch again, perhaps try resetting it back to factory settings first and see how that works Reset or restore your Apple TV to its factory settings – Apple Support

Jun 9, 2023 7:28 PM in response to Sting74

Sounds like your TV is waking up to a different input. You could try turning CEC off and then back on while both are on. Or there may be a setting on your TV that it remembers the last HDMI input it was on. When it happens again, press the info button on your TV remote and see what input it is on (which you may have already done).

Jun 9, 2023 8:14 PM in response to Tipper264

Yes my TV remembers the last input used. So the TV opens on the last input it was ON. I guess it may be an CEC issue. When the problem happens, the TV indicate that the source have NO SIGNAL after I the TV was opended with the Apple TV remote. I have to use the TV remote to select the HDMI input (the same input that indicate NO SIGNAL) and the signal is back again ! Of course this is not a major issue since it's happening maybe every two days, but it's just anoying and not normal.

Jun 13, 2023 12:48 PM in response to Vancouver22

Hello again,

I just had this problem again today after 4 days off.

I checked and HDMI-CEC is enabled on my TV. So, I start my TV AND my Apple TV by pressing the POWER button on the Apple TV remote.

My TV is programmed to open on the last source used. So, on HDMI 1, on which the Apple TV is connected.

The TV and the Apple TV therefore open simultaneously on the HDMI 1 source.

For some reason, once every 3-4 days (so several ignitions are done without problem), the TV seems to ignore that the Apple TV has turned on at the same time. So I have to go to the TV menu and choose the HDMI 1 source with the TV remote control and the Apple TV image comes back.

Obviously if I unplug and replug the HDMI wire it also works, but it's more tedious.

My TV has been checked by a technician sent by Samsung and I am told that if there is a problem, it is with the Apple TV.

My Apple TV is under warranty until December 2023. I could always go to the AppleStore to do a warranty exchange. But I doubt that the Apple TV is faulty. As a technician told me: an HDMI socket works or does not work. There is no in between.

Jun 13, 2023 4:29 PM in response to Vancouver22

Hello,

Thank you for you answer.

OK, so I am not the only one to have this problem.

I guess it is a random problem with the Apple TV 4K hardware or the TvOS. If I go to an AppleStore and they give me a refurb Apple TV (since I am on the one year warranty) I wil have the same "random error".

I have checked an the Anynet+ is active on my TV.

I hope TvOS 17 will help with this problem.

Jun 27, 2023 2:31 PM in response to Sting74

There’s a ‘Lindy CEC-less’ adapter I tried. It didn’t work for me. Perhaps it will for you. My work around is switching my Onkyo Rz-50 AVR to the ATV input, waiting about 30-40 seconds until I get a blue screen and then turning the ATV on. This usually works. Just sucks having to wait that long. If I hook everything up to my LG C1, everything works fine and switches flawlessly. But I use the sub out on my AVR to go to a monitor in my kitchen and you can’t output the ARC to the sub output.

Jun 28, 2023 6:35 AM in response to Tipper264

My TV is programmed to wake up to the last input used: the one that the Apple TV is on.

When I use the Apple Remote to open eveything, I get the no signal issue every 2 or 3 days. I have to use the Samsung remote to select HDMI 1 and I get the image back.

When I open everything with the Samsung remote, I get the no signal issue everytime after 1 or 2 minutes of normal image from Apple TV.

Jun 28, 2023 6:46 AM in response to Vancouver22

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I have tried 3 cables and different port. I have read and try everything on the inernet including Apple pages.

I will try the two things that I haven’t try :

buy an HDMI-CEC killer (BlueRigger on Amazon) and try a factory reset.

I nothing works I will go to the AppleStore. I have plenty of time since I’m under warranty until December 16.

But since this Apple TV worked on my old TV and since all HDMI ports on my new 4K TV can’t be defective, I guess the problem comes from CEC or the design of the Apple TV itself. But I guess exchanging my Apple TV for a new one will clear my mind of they both do the same thing.

Jul 1, 2023 10:13 AM in response to Vancouver22

I think I have solved the issue by turning OFF the "INPUT SIGNAL PLUS" option on the Samsung TV.

This is strange because INPUT SIGNAL PLUS is supposed to expand and have a better HDMI signal AND allow HDR to be outputed by and external device (Apple TV).

But even with INPUT SIGNAL PLUS turned OFF, my Apple TV is still outputing an HDR/HDR10+ image on the TV.

Jul 1, 2023 10:46 AM in response to Sting74

Sounds to me like Signal Plus is more demanding on the quality of the input signal i.e. cable length. By turning it off, Samsung is lowering the bar on bit errors. You could be getting a slightly degraded image that the Samsung waves through. Depends on content and may come & go, all undetectable to the naked eye (hopefully).

Not perfect but best under the circumstances. Well done 👍😉

Jul 2, 2023 5:33 AM in response to hcsitas

Yes, I will give you an update.

But, I will not install the new cable today because I want to be sure that the problem is related to the INPUT SIGNAL PLUS option. I want to continue my test one our two more days.

Today is the 4th day that I did not have the NO SIGNAL random problem at startup since I have turned off the INPUT SIGNAL PLUS. When the option was turned ON, I lasted a maximum of 4 days without having the problem. So I want to be sure that INPUT SIGNAL PLUS is the real problem.

Because if I still have the problem with the 3 feet cable and INPUT SIGNAL PLUS turned on that means that:

1- the Apple TV is defective and I will have to go to the Applestore for an exchange under warranty;

OR

2- there is simply a random bug concerning the INPUT SIGNAL PLUS option between Samsung and Apple (and it will be not the first time that Samsung is complicating things with Apple).

Apple TV 4K NO SIGNAL/INPUT issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.