MacBook Pro shuts down when starting up from battery

I have a MacBook pro from 2009 (2,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Crucial MX500 SSD, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB).

Many times when starting up from battery the system shuts down prematurely unless the battery is fully charged. When the battery is not fully charged this happens even when the charger is plugged . But when the battery is fully charged it never happens.

I have replaced the battery with a new one but this problem still exists.

I have done SMC and NVRAM reset but it didn’t help. I see some other people reported the same issue but no one could figure out the issue. I did AHT test and it didn’t detect any hardware issues.

Can somebody tell me why this is happening?

MacBook Pro 17″

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 10:03 PM

SohoSoho Said:

"MacBook Pro shuts down when starting up from battery: The charger is good. The computer starts when it is plugged and fully charged. I did NVRAM and SMC test. It just fails starting when the battery is not fully charged (sometimes). The battery has been replaced but the issue still happens."

-------

Remove Login Items --Use Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode, and then remove all Login Items, seeing if this no longer occurs. In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in Safe Mode, remove these item, and then boot up normally, attempting another login.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 10:03 PM in response to SohoSoho

SohoSoho Said:

"MacBook Pro shuts down when starting up from battery: The charger is good. The computer starts when it is plugged and fully charged. I did NVRAM and SMC test. It just fails starting when the battery is not fully charged (sometimes). The battery has been replaced but the issue still happens."

-------

Remove Login Items --Use Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode, and then remove all Login Items, seeing if this no longer occurs. In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in Safe Mode, remove these item, and then boot up normally, attempting another login.

Jun 9, 2023 9:47 PM in response to SohoSoho

SohoSoho Said:

"MacBook Pro shuts down when starting up from battery: [...]Can somebody tell me why this is happening?"

-------

Troubleshooting MacBook Pro Power:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Jun 9, 2023 10:16 PM in response to SohoSoho

SohoSoho Said:

"MacBook Pro shuts down when starting up from battery: It dies before I can boot in safe mode."

-------

Extract the Data - then Format the Drive:

Then, I'd say it is time to upgrade. Erase the hard drive, perhaps extracting data, first. The hard drive would be removed, and then data would be extracted. Take it to an AASP to do so.

Contacting an AASP:

Also, look into taking it to an AASP(Apple Authorized Service Provider) seeing if they offer service for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

MacBook Pro shuts down when starting up from battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.