Storage

Good Morning All,

I hope you are doing well.

I am writing to day on an issue of storage on my phone. Recently, after a long run my phone suddenly turned off (iPhone 10). I went in to get it fixed. For two days it worked but i fortunately it turned off for ever. I go a new phone (iPhone 11 pro with 64 gigabytes and 5 gigabytes on iCloud). I used 51 of 64 and 4 of the 5 on iCloud.

Storage is my problem. I do not want to get a new phone for storage. My first question is, what is the difference between iCloud gigabytes and the gigabytes on the iPhone it’s self? My second question is, if I completely restart my iPhone will the data such as pictures, data provider, photo’s ,and phone number (etc.) be wiped from the iCloud. Or will everything remain excluded the other apps on the phone.

My third question is, is there is a way to delete all data with the apps that I have downloaded but not affecting my pictures, data provider, and phone number? But, if that is not possible I just want to keep my photos.

Due to the storage problem I do not want to keep deleting my photos that are good memories. If someone could answer my question that would be wonderful. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Something so small could make a difference. I hope you all have a great day.

Thank You,

Joe-joe03

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 7:53 AM

Q. what is the difference between iCloud gigabytes and the gigabytes on the iPhone it’s self?

A. Review the following guide 👉 What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Q. if I completely restart my iPhone will the data such as pictures, data provider, photo’s ,and phone number (etc.) be wiped from the iCloud. Or will everything remain excluded the other apps on the phone?

A. If you meant that you reset the iPhone to factory settings, then ALL data on your iPhone will be deleted on your iPhone. If you have backup files on iCloud, then those files will remain on iCloud. Your cellular service provider informaiton, including your phone number, will not be deleted.

Q. is there is a way to delete all data with the apps that I have downloaded but not affecting my pictures, data provider, and phone number?

A. This is possible but only if you delete the app that you have downloaded, one by one, on your iPhone. If you perform a complete factory reset then ALL data will be removed except SIM (cellular service provider) information.

If you are just interested in saving your pictures AND having free storage space on your iPhone, then I recommend that you export your photos to a computer and remove them form your iPhone after. This will maintain the photos outside of your iPhone while creating free storage space on your iPhone. You may refer to this process 👉 Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 7:53 AM in response to Joe-joe03

Q. what is the difference between iCloud gigabytes and the gigabytes on the iPhone it’s self?

A. Review the following guide 👉 What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Q. if I completely restart my iPhone will the data such as pictures, data provider, photo’s ,and phone number (etc.) be wiped from the iCloud. Or will everything remain excluded the other apps on the phone?

A. If you meant that you reset the iPhone to factory settings, then ALL data on your iPhone will be deleted on your iPhone. If you have backup files on iCloud, then those files will remain on iCloud. Your cellular service provider informaiton, including your phone number, will not be deleted.

Q. is there is a way to delete all data with the apps that I have downloaded but not affecting my pictures, data provider, and phone number?

A. This is possible but only if you delete the app that you have downloaded, one by one, on your iPhone. If you perform a complete factory reset then ALL data will be removed except SIM (cellular service provider) information.

If you are just interested in saving your pictures AND having free storage space on your iPhone, then I recommend that you export your photos to a computer and remove them form your iPhone after. This will maintain the photos outside of your iPhone while creating free storage space on your iPhone. You may refer to this process 👉 Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Axel F.

Jun 10, 2023 7:50 AM in response to Joe-joe03

iCloud by default only has 5GB of storage space for your backup.

When you get a popup message on your iPhone or iPad that the storage is full.

Look closely storage of iPhone and iCloud.

You cannot increase storage of iPhone. However you can optimise iPhone Storage by using iCloud Storage. Save space on your device

Settings > [your name] > iCloud Tap Photos > Choose Optimize [device] Storage Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

iCloud storage is primarily for keeping a copy of your iPhone data safely on cloud. If you delete data on iPhone, data on iCloud is gone.

iPhone Storage (Setting > General > iPhone Storage)

1. Total storage remains same through out life span of the iPhone
  2. Storage can not be enhanced
  3. You may take back up on Mac or PC using iTunes without iCloud

iCloud Storage (Settings > [Tap your name] > iCloud)

1. By default every user gets 5GB of free storage space
  2. You can buy more storage based on your requirement 50, 200GB, 2TB with monthly subscription
  3. Based on your storage capacity you can back up iPhone or iPad
  4. The space can be shared between your family members for storage plan beyond 200GB

Jun 10, 2023 7:50 AM in response to Joe-joe03

You cannot increase the storage of an iPhone.

• However, you can optimize iPhone Storage by using iCloud Storage in order to save space on your device
  • If you had turned on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos and you delete Photos, Videos and Messages from the iPhone then it is deleted from iCloud too, and vice-versa. At the same time, it is also deleted from all the devices that use the same Apple ID.
  • And if you happen to take a backup either over iTunes or iCloud after deleting Photos, Videos & Messages all the photos and messages are deleted from the backup (iCloud/iTunes) too when you take the backup next time.
  • Alternatively, you may upload data to iCloud Drive.

Settings > [your name] > iCloud Tap Photos > Choose Optimize [device] Storage --> Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

You may buy iCloud Storage. --> Buy more iCloud storage - Apple Support

Before you buy more iCloud storage see if you can manage your existing storage --> Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Your photos are always available for both iPhone and iCloud. You delete it on the iPhone it is gone from iCloud and vice-versa.

To save space on your iPhone use optimized iPhone storage. Remember, if you delete in one it is deleted everywhere.

Get started with iCloud Photos:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos.
  2. Turn on iCloud Photos.
  3. Select Optimize iPhone Storage to save space on your device.

With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Jun 10, 2023 8:03 AM in response to Joe-joe03

I will try to answer your questions, Joe-Joe03.

1. This link explains the difference between iPhone storage which is hard wired to the phone and cannot be increased and the iCloud: What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support
  2. Let’s make sure we are talking about the same thing. Restarting the iPhone will not remove any data or apps. Perhaps you are referring to a factory reset, which will delete everything? You can read about that here: How to factory reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  3. I do not believe there is a way to accomplish what you want in your third question but hope someone more knowledgeable will step in to answer.

It may be best for you to make an appointment at the Genius Bar where an expert can walk you thru the steps in person.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.