Why shouldn't you drag and drop to copy a Library from one HDD to another?

I cannot recollect whether I have or have not moved a Library in the past but I have seen lots of answers detailing comparatively complex procedures including this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1TyKMDB3I

What is the problem with simply dragging and dropping?

I have just tested the drag and drop method and as far as I can see everything is perfectly normal.

I must admit that it was not a complex Library so maybe that has some bearing on the issue?

iMac 27″ 5K

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 9:16 AM

There is no problem if the media is contained inside the library, then when you drag and drop you're moving the library and the media and links between all the elements all together. The problem arises as soon as elements of the library like the media are outside it. And of course if you're moving the library to another computer there is also the problem of Motion templates that should be embedded into the library to make the transfer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 9:16 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

There is no problem if the media is contained inside the library, then when you drag and drop you're moving the library and the media and links between all the elements all together. The problem arises as soon as elements of the library like the media are outside it. And of course if you're moving the library to another computer there is also the problem of Motion templates that should be embedded into the library to make the transfer.

Why shouldn't you drag and drop to copy a Library from one HDD to another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.