Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Mail Rules not working after macOS Ventura update

The Rules I have in Apple Mail are again not automatically running when new emails are downloaded from Mindspring. This is a repeat issue for me and before it was "fixed" when I updated MacOS. Not a fix this time when I downloaded Ventura 13.4!

FYI Apple Support and I created a work around! Open Rules, duplicate one of the existing rules, apply it, and all the Rules run, as it should, to scan my inbox. Then all I have to do is delete the "Copy of xx" that I just made. So I am doing this several times a day as I get 300+ emails per day. Lack of rules working automatically creates a forest of ??

This all started about 6/7or8/2023. If you have a real fix, please us all know! Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 1:49 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 11, 2023 9:15 AM in response to Lugab89

Lugab,

First thanks for taking the time to reply! Apple Mail Rules are working again! I ran Mailbox Rebuild last night and just left it alone. Today it seems to be running the rules on the incoming mail and off to Trash they go! I did shut down Mail as there was a message that it was moving 4900 of 5600 messages, like one every half hour. Restarted Mail and don't get that message and all seems to work.

Again thanks for such a simple solution to an irritating problem.

Jun 10, 2023 2:06 PM in response to Williamfromroswell

Hello Williamfromroswell,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with your Apple Mail rules not automatically running when new emails are downloaded from Mindspring. This problem has recurred for you, and it was previously resolved when you updated macOS, but the recent update to Ventura 13.4 did not fix it.

You mentioned that you found a workaround with Apple Support, which involves duplicating an existing rule, applying it, and then having all the rules run as expected to scan your inbox. Afterward, you simply delete the duplicate rule. However, given the high volume of emails you receive daily (300+), this workaround becomes inconvenient. The issue started around 6/7or8/2023. Thank you for providing this information.

In cases like this, it is recommended to try a few troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem:

1. Rebuild mailbox: In Apple Mail, you can try rebuilding the affected mailbox by selecting the mailbox in question, going to the "Mailbox" menu, and choosing "Rebuild." This action can resolve issues related to mailbox corruption.

2. Reset Apple Mail preferences:

Quit Apple Mail, then navigate to

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences

and move the "com.apple.mail.plist" file to the desktop. Restart Apple Mail, and it will create a new preferences file. Note: That this will reset your Apple Mail preferences, so you may need to reconfigure settings afterward.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be worth reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance. They have access to advanced troubleshooting tools and can provide specific guidance based on your system configuration.

Please keep in mind that the information provided here is based on general troubleshooting practices, and it's advisable to consult official Apple support resources or contact Apple Support directly for the most accurate and up-to-date assistance.

Best regards,

Lugab

Feb 13, 2024 10:47 AM in response to Williamfromroswell

Williamfromroswell wrote:

The Rules I have in Apple Mail are again not automatically running when new emails are downloaded from Mindspring. This is a repeat issue for me and before it was "fixed" when I updated MacOS. Not a fix this time when I downloaded Ventura 13.4!

FYI Apple Support and I created a work around! Open Rules, duplicate one of the existing rules, apply it, and all the Rules run, as it should, to scan my inbox. Then all I have to do is delete the "Copy of xx" that I just made. So I am doing this several times a day as I get 300+ emails per day. Lack of rules working automatically creates a forest of ??

This all started about 6/7or8/2023. If you have a real fix, please us all know! Thanks

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Apple Mail Rules not working after macOS Ventura update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.