New MacBook Air to old Apple Cinema Display

I'm about to update my 2014 15" MBP with a MB Air 15" and would like to continue to use my old Cinema Display.

I currently use a mini Display Port to DVI adapter and I also have a HDMI to DVI adapter. What would be the best way to go? I've been looking at a Satechi hub with HDMI, but it recommends a HDMI-HDMI cable suggesting it may have issues with an adapter in the middle. I'm happy to use a TB/USB C hub since I also need to connect Ethernet and the odd USB-A device.

Cinema Display

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 10:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 10:50 AM

Which Cinema Display do you have?

If it has a resolution of 1920x1200 pixels or less, you can use a HDMI to DVI adapter, or one of the commonplace USB-C to single-link DVI adapters. If it is a 30" one with a resolution of 2560x1600 pixels, you'll need a dual-link DVI adapter and dual-link DVI cable. (These are out there, at least for USB-C. You just have to look harder.)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2023 10:50 AM in response to Woz from OZ

Which Cinema Display do you have?

If it has a resolution of 1920x1200 pixels or less, you can use a HDMI to DVI adapter, or one of the commonplace USB-C to single-link DVI adapters. If it is a 30" one with a resolution of 2560x1600 pixels, you'll need a dual-link DVI adapter and dual-link DVI cable. (These are out there, at least for USB-C. You just have to look harder.)

New MacBook Air to old Apple Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.