You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CAReportingService spikes CPU usage

Suddenly my 2020 Macbook Pro M1 (Ventura) is running hot due to CPU usage by CA Reporting Service.

CA Reporting Service has to do with audio, I think.

My Macbook is a work machine that is dedicated to writing documents, spreadsheets, etc.

No music players or audio, other than occasional WebEx or Teams video/audio.

Occasional YouTube videos.

There are some mainstream websites that play video (CNN, US and UK newspapers, TechCrunch, Twitter).

No obscure or crazy extensions, apps or devices installed.

So why the spike? What core audio activity is there to report?

Any ideas?

I noticed my situation is similar to what others have observed in a previous thread:

CAReportingservice - Apple Community

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 11:47 PM

2 replies

Sep 22, 2023 7:17 AM in response to raygvee

Having already participated in your link above.

Here is what I am seeing on that same M1 Mac Mini running Ventura 13.6 the most Current version of macOS

If not already installed suggest updating and than report back

Keep your Mac up to date

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.6

raygvee wrote:

Suddenly my 2020 Macbook Pro M1 (Ventura) is running hot due to CPU usage by CA Reporting Service.

CA Reporting Service has to do with audio, I think.
My Macbook is a work machine that is dedicated to writing documents, spreadsheets, etc.
No music players or audio, other than occasional WebEx or Teams video/audio.
Occasional YouTube videos.
There are some mainstream websites that play video (CNN, US and UK newspapers, TechCrunch, Twitter).
No obscure or crazy extensions, apps or devices installed.

So why the spike? What core audio activity is there to report?
Any ideas?

I noticed my situation is similar to what others have observed in a previous thread:
CAReportingservice - Apple Community

Jun 13, 2023 8:30 AM in response to raygvee

Hello raygvee,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you have some questions about your MacBook temperature and we'd like to help. You may be able to find assistance within the following link, as it explains how to Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures.

Mac laptops comply with all temperature limits that are set in national and international safety standards. Make sure to follow the user guide instructions regarding safety and handling. 
Mac laptops have sensors that detect temperature changes inside your computer. If your Mac laptop has fans, they turn on automatically to cool critical components. 
Tips to manage the operating temperature:
* Make sure that you’ve installed all Mac software updates.
* Use your Mac laptop where the ambient temperature is between 50° and 95° F (10° and 35° C). Don’t leave your Mac laptop in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range. You should also use your Mac laptop where the relative humidity is between 0% and 95% (noncondensing).
* Use your Mac laptop on a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation. Don’t use your Mac laptop in your bed, on a pillow, or under bedding.
* Don’t put anything over the keyboard. 
* If your Mac laptop has ventilation openings, don't put anything into them. 
* Use only Apple-authorized power adapters.
If your Mac laptop gets warm even when it isn’t doing tasks that require intensive calculations, or if it has fans that run for a long time, use Activity Monitor to check CPU activity. Look for malfunctioning processes that can put a significant load on the CPU and check for unexpected fan use. If issues persist, close and open the lid on your laptop, or restart your computer. If you have an Intel-based Mac, reset the SMC.
If you use third-party apps that measure the temperature of your laptop computer, it’s important to understand that they don't measure the external case temperature. The case temperature is much lower. Never use third-party apps to diagnose possible hardware issues.
If you have issues with your Mac laptop’s operating temperature, contact Apple. Or visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards.

CAReportingService spikes CPU usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.