Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Unable to boot from external USB media (M1 macbook pro)

Hello, I'm trying to install a copy of macOS Ventura on my external media (Samsung SSD T5) so I can have a separate bootable macOS to upgrade to the Sonoma beta for testing. I've done this before with my intel macbook pro without issues, but I can't figure out how to get it to work on the M1 macbook pro.

I've tried to install Ventura to the USB drive via the Ventura installer, and I've also tried installing Ventura to the USB drive from the recovery utility. Neither works. The USB SSD is set to GUID and formatted APFS

Whenever I try to set the USB Ventura as the boot disk, I get an error "Unable to set the startup disk." And when I try to select the USB disk from the boot options screen, I get a spinning wheel for a second then nothing. No message.

I've seen posts indicating that in the "Startup Security Utility" I need to allow boot media. This is NOT available on my M1 macbook pro. Though it is available on my intel macbook pro. How can I boot to macOS from external media? Surely this has been done on a mac with an Apple CPU?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 4:33 PM

After several hours with support and trying another USB drive. I was told by Apple that they don't support 3rd party components. Even though macOS won't boot from USB even though it is an option, they don't offer support for this configuration even if it is a bug with Ventura. This is extremely disappointing. This used to work on my Intel Macbook Pro and is how I used to test alternate macOS versions. It's not the type of support I've come to expect from Apple, especially when my M1 Macbook Pro is still under AppleCare

Similar questions

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2023 4:33 PM in response to Odysseus42

After several hours with support and trying another USB drive. I was told by Apple that they don't support 3rd party components. Even though macOS won't boot from USB even though it is an option, they don't offer support for this configuration even if it is a bug with Ventura. This is extremely disappointing. This used to work on my Intel Macbook Pro and is how I used to test alternate macOS versions. It's not the type of support I've come to expect from Apple, especially when my M1 Macbook Pro is still under AppleCare

Jun 12, 2023 6:21 PM in response to Odysseus42

<< Apple support told me that Apple CPU macs should allow booting from external drives by default >>

...then person you were talking to needs to be re-trained, because that is FALSE!

<< The Startup Security Utility on Apple CPU macs no longer has an option for allowing booting from external devices >>

That is also Not correct.

But it is not pushed in your face -- you must choose Startup Security Utility off the 'Utilities' Menu, as described in the article linked below, and unless/until you do, none of your alternate boot methods can work.

Change security settings on the startup disk of a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

You must restart your Mac for the changes to take effect.

Apr 11, 2024 11:22 AM in response to Odysseus42

Apple does not closely follow the problems posted on the forums. They can act only when a cohesive and fairly complete description of the problem is supplied. Many of these come in through Apple Support, but if you can supply a description of the issue, you can use product feedback to report this as a "bug report":

Product Feedback - Apple

Jun 12, 2023 5:37 PM in response to Odysseus42

I do not believe that is CORRECT either.

You need to have a conversation with Startup Security Utility to authorize ANY booting from ANY external devices.

Then you have to have completely erased the candidate PHYSICAL drive (not just the Mountable, user-named Volume) and made it an Apple File System (APFS) drive with a mountable APFS Volume.

And only then can your Mac consider installing onto it (which has always required booting its embedded minimal MacOS, of exactly the same version as the incoming version of MacOS.

You have not mentioned ANY of these steps, or referenced the Apple article about creating a bootable USB-stick Installer, so forgive me if I seem to be belaboring what MAY, by now, be obvious to you. You have not mentioned any of the required steps.

Jun 12, 2023 5:52 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I indeed mentioned all this already in my original post, but I'll repeat again here:

The Startup Security Utility on Apple CPU macs no longer has an option for allowing booting from external devices, but I did try to reduce the security level. This option was available on Intel macs. Apple support told me that Apple CPU macs should allow booting from external drives by default

Both USB drives were reformatted with GUID/APFS

I did not reference the Apple article on creating a bootable USB installer because I'm not trying to create a bootable USB installer

Jun 12, 2023 6:36 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have a bootable Monterey Installer USB stick on hand already.

I shut down my MacBook Pro 16-in M1, and held the power button to get the Startup Manager/Options combined screen.

I chose Options.

it showed four choices, none of which was startup security manager.

I chose Startup Security Manager from the Utilities menu, and was able to select Reduced security.

Once the changes were saved, I did a shut down.

I shut down my MacBook Pro 16-in M1, and held the power button to get the Startup Manager/Options combined screen.

it showed an Admin Username, and demanded that Admin User's password.

then it continued, and showed a choice of the bootable Installer USB-Stick, the default internal Boot drive, and Options.

I chose the bootable USB-stick Installer.

it rebooted from that USB stick, then showed the ready to Install MacOS display.

It all appears to my eye to work the way the article says, and

... the agent you were dealing with needs re-training.

Jun 13, 2023 6:50 AM in response to Odysseus42

<< I'm not trying to create a bootable installer. >>

My example was using items I already had on hand to quickly demonstrate that booting from external devices was possible on Apple-Silicon Macs.

My new Mac was delivered to me with Ventura. I re-imaged it with Monterey, because I would rather be running Monterey. I honestly do not remember what I had to do to install older Monterey, but it was no trouble at all.

Jun 18, 2023 12:29 PM in response to Servant of Cats

If Apple stopped supporting USB-C drives, I hope they would mention it. In any case, I was getting ready to order a Thunderbolt drive to try to get this working, but I got my USB-C drive to work finally with Ventura. Instead of using a drive name with a space in it (I had initially named it "macOS Sonoma"), I changed it to "mac_t5" and it worked. I'm not 100% sure if it was the name, but I don't believe I changed anything else. Ventura booted from my external USB-C drive and then I was able to install Sonoma on it to test the beta

Jun 18, 2023 2:56 PM in response to Odysseus42

<< If Apple stopped supporting USB-C drives, >>

Nonsense.

Apple supports USB-C drives just fine. Even USB-C drives plugged into ThunderBolt ports. Still supported.

Apple supports older USB-A connectors on Macs that HAVE such connectors, such as the new Mac Pro 2023 42 lb silver tower.[Yours Mac does not happen to have any USB-A connectors.]

A simple adapter allows conversion from ThunderBolt and/or USB-C ports and use of USB-A USB-sticks.. Still supported.

Apr 11, 2024 10:32 AM in response to Odysseus42

I have an external SSD with bootable and working version of macOS Ventura. My Mac is currently on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1. I don't remember when I installed Ventura on my external SSD, but I partition half of the disk for Ventura, and left half for another OS.

So now I am trying to install macOS Monterey on that other half. I have created a bootable installed on a separate USD-C stick and installation seemed to work fine. But now when I try to select macOS Monterey from the startup options I get the same problem as you described with the spinning wheel and then nothing when clicking 'Continue'.

However, when I try to use it as a startup disk I get a different error:

"The version of macOS on the selected disk needs to be reinstalled."

I have already reinstalled once but that didn't seem to fix anything.

Apr 11, 2024 11:15 AM in response to MeestaFreeski

In my last post I mentioned that removing spaces from the disk label fixed the problem. Apparently there is a bug in MacOS where it won't boot from external media if the disk label has a space in it. I would recommend a very short disk label with no spaces. Maybe stick to 8 characters or less just in case. I haven't tried external media recently, so I don't know if the situation has gotten worse. Shame on Apple for this issue and not addressing it

Unable to boot from external USB media (M1 macbook pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.