iMac 2020 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 running slowly since RAM upgrade

Upgraded two 8mb sticks to two 32mb sticks

Just did a Geekbench test on this and benchmark is 1658/8212 I'm running at 213/2218 (it took 17 mins was the givaway)

3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Empty

32 Gb

Empty

32 Gb

Should I have left the original Apple 8Gb memory in the empty slots (I was advised not to mix types)

Please help, thank you in advance.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 3:13 AM

9 replies

Jun 14, 2023 8:38 PM in response to deane4work

Even when purchasing RAM from those recommended vendors, you must also make sure to only purchase the exact part numbers those sites recommend as compatible by using the tools on their respective sites to identify compatible memory. It is not safe to just purchase memory based on memory speed these days since these computers can be very picky with the other memory timings not normally shown by Apple or even sometimes the memory vendors themselves.

You do want to make sure the new RAM is fully seated in the slots and the memory mechanism has been fully latched into place (both sides).

You can also remove the new RAM & reinstall the original memory into those same slots to see if performance has returned. This also helps you to know that you have fully seated & latched the memory in place.

Aug 28, 2023 9:30 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi and thank you for your assistance but the question has been resolved now. The RAM (it was Crucial) was not bedded in properly. I think I'd been too gentle with it when inserting it originally. The benchmarks are much better now as I mentioned in my answer yesterday.

I just can't find the option to delve the thread answered or closed and I've looked everywhere! Have they changed something?

Aug 29, 2023 12:59 PM in response to Old Toad

I'd already marked the answer that helped me resolve the problem from, HW Tech, with "Best Answer" (and written a reply thanking that person for their help) before you ever contributed to this thread.

It was your input, after the fact, that prompted me to question if I'd missed how to mark the thread as resolved. I don't want to be wasting people's time.

Thank you again anyway, the assistance on this community is priceless!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.