Icloud, gallery

Lots of my photos were deleted from the gallery. Turned out they are on Icloud now. When I tried to download them, they downloaded as zip. How can I get my photos back?

I don’t know if that matters, but it also says that my Icloud storage is full and it seems like that’s the reason photos can’t synchronise. However what does it have to do with removing almost all of the photos

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 8:12 AM

See the article Zip and unzip files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

• Unzip (expand) a compressed item: Double-click the .zip file.
  • The unzipped item appears in the same folder as the .zip file. If you want to, you can delete the .zip file.
  • Note: If you can’t open the .zip file, make sure you have enough space on your Mac for the unzipped item. If you received the .zip file from someone else, there might be a problem with the file. Ask them to zip the file again and resend it.

Note : you have to upgrade the iCloud storage space Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

And then download photos Download iCloud photos and videos - Apple Support

See an additional article if necessary use the steps If you can’t compress a file or folder on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2023 8:12 AM in response to saecubed

See the article Zip and unzip files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

• Unzip (expand) a compressed item: Double-click the .zip file.
  • The unzipped item appears in the same folder as the .zip file. If you want to, you can delete the .zip file.
  • Note: If you can’t open the .zip file, make sure you have enough space on your Mac for the unzipped item. If you received the .zip file from someone else, there might be a problem with the file. Ask them to zip the file again and resend it.

Note : you have to upgrade the iCloud storage space Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

And then download photos Download iCloud photos and videos - Apple Support

See an additional article if necessary use the steps If you can’t compress a file or folder on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 15, 2023 11:12 AM in response to saecubed

Thank you, it worked. But now photos are in the Files app, not in Gallery. I have almost 3000 photos and videos, do I have to download every single one of them from Files? They’ll be in much worse quality and it’ll take a lot of time. Moreover, there won’t be any information about the day the picture was taken or where. I also had everything sorted in folders, and I can’t imagine how long will it take to do this again. Is there really no easy way to have my photos back like they were instead of downloading them like they are new photos?

Icloud, gallery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.