Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can't install any OS X version on mid-2011 iMac

I've got an old family Mid-2011 iMac that I updated to use while I'm at home. Originally updated to High Sierra with no problems but then wanted to get Big Sur so I could use Adobe apps (thanks Adobe/Apple). Booted into recovery mode and erased the main drive to install the new OS and it didn't work, now it boots through internet recovery mode and gives the option to install Lion but everytime I get the error message "can't download additional components needed to install Mac OS X". I've tried changing the date through terminal but this hasn't worked either, so I'm all out of ideas. Any help would be much appreciated!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 8:28 AM

The last version of macOS supported on the mid-2011 iMac is High Sierra 10.13.6. It shipped with OS X 10.6.6. Once you wipe this Mac, you will need to install the following dependencies in order:

1. Reinstall the iMac from its gray installation discs that came with it. That will get you to 10.6.6. You cannot use an OS X 10.6.3 installation DVD with this iMac as it predated the pre-installed operating system.
  2. Continue to use Software Update to update this iMac through OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental and security updates
  3. Get and install OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5) and subsequent updates (because this is a prerequisite for High SIerra)
  4. Get and install OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 and subsequent updates

You can get Mountain Lion and High Sierra from How to download macOS - Apple Support and this may require a Mac capable of running those operating systems for the download.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2023 8:28 AM in response to cbrayson

The last version of macOS supported on the mid-2011 iMac is High Sierra 10.13.6. It shipped with OS X 10.6.6. Once you wipe this Mac, you will need to install the following dependencies in order:

1. Reinstall the iMac from its gray installation discs that came with it. That will get you to 10.6.6. You cannot use an OS X 10.6.3 installation DVD with this iMac as it predated the pre-installed operating system.
  2. Continue to use Software Update to update this iMac through OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental and security updates
  3. Get and install OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5) and subsequent updates (because this is a prerequisite for High SIerra)
  4. Get and install OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 and subsequent updates

You can get Mountain Lion and High Sierra from How to download macOS - Apple Support and this may require a Mac capable of running those operating systems for the download.

Can't install any OS X version on mid-2011 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.