Data recovery from broken iPad

I have a broken ipad (it fell down and the screen crashed), but it works. I know it works because I can see a tiny part of the screen and it replies to what I do (becoming a bit darker when I press the home button to type the password), but I cannot unlock it or do anything with it (basically cannot see anything in the screen).

How can I recover the data from this iPad?(I have no iCloud copy).

Also if there is a way to see the iPad's screen in other device (Without configuring it from the iPad, which is the problem) this will solve my problem.

Thanks in advance!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 9:22 AM

so how are you supposed to recover files from apps that don't use iCloud?

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 13, 2023 12:32 PM in response to guillelpz

It used to be possible to do a backup with a dead screen. I had an iPad mini 2 that was dropped really badly and nearly all the glass was gone. All I had to do was connect via a Lightning cable. The backlight sort of lit up but I couldn't see anything show up other than a purplish light. But I could see it in Find My (along with battery charge level) and I was able to create a new backup since it was already "trusted" with my Mac.

However, these days you will need a working front screen assembly in order to approve a backup. The latest versions of MacOS (even Catalina) and iTunes (for PCs) won't start a backup without the passcode being entered into the iPad first.

If it's that important to you, it might be possible to have a third party shop help you out with data recovery. We can't give you a recommendation as to who to seek. If it's just a trashed front screen assembly (and no substantial damage to the underlying hardware), it might be possible to do it with a temporarily connected working front screen assembly that you might not need to purchase. It might even be possible to get a permanent fix to it, although it wouldn't be anything that Apple would authorize and typically any such devices wouldn't be eligible for Apple's typical battery replacement service - or possibly even Apple's "other damage" replacement service.

Apple officially only offers a full replacement service where the damaged iPad has to be exchanged. They won't help with data recovery and consider it the responsibility of the customer to have backed up the data.

Jun 13, 2023 11:30 AM in response to guillelpz

guillelpz wrote:

I have a broken ipad (it fell down and the screen crashed), but it works. I know it works because I can see a tiny part of the screen and it replies to what I do (becoming a bit darker when I press the home button to type the password), but I cannot unlock it or do anything with it (basically cannot see anything in the screen).
How can I recover the data from this iPad?(I have no iCloud copy).
Also if there is a way to see the iPad's screen in other device (Without configuring it from the iPad, which is the problem) this will solve my problem.
Thanks in advance!

Can't recover any data that isn't backed up to itunes or icloud.

No to your last question.

May 21, 2024 9:04 AM in response to zoya1154

zoya1154 wrote:

Hi

If the data is backed up onto iCloud, can I access it on my laptop and if yes, how ?
If not, is my only option buying a new iPad?

Files and some data synchronised with iCloud can be accessed using a web browser from a computer:

https://icloud.com

If using a Windows PC, you might also install iCloud for Windows:

Download iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Jun 14, 2023 8:02 AM in response to guillelpz

As described, you’ll not be able to recover any data from your broken iPad.

Your iPad has an encrypted filesystem. Unless the iPad can boot to a running state - and the Passcode successfully entered to unlock the iPad - no data can be retrieved from the device.

While data locally stored on the iPad may be beyond reach, as long as you have an iCloud or iTunes backup of your data, the backup can restored to your own device after repair, or to a replacement iPad. If your data and photos are synchronised with iCloud Photos, these are already accessible from any computer with a web browser:

https://icloud.apple.com

Data recovery from broken iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.