External Monitor goes black for a few seconds randomly throughout the day

I have a MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 that I use with two external monitors. I have a problem with only one of the monitors and it only surfaced recently after an upgrade to macOS Ventura 13.3.1.

The problem Monitor will go black for a few seconds randomly throughout the day. After two seconds the image returns to normal without any input on the keyboard or track-pad. I am using the USB-C cables that were provided with the monitors and they are plugged directly into ports on the MacBook Pro (one on each side).

Both are LG 27MD5KL-B 27 inch UltraFine 5K monitors.

• 27 Inch 5K (5120 x 2880) IPS Display.Aspect ratio:16:9.Viewing Angle:178.0 degrees.Response time:14.0 milliseconds
  • DCI-P3 99% Color Gamut / 500nits Brightness
  • Thunderbolt 3 Port with up to 94W PD
  • 3 USB Type C Ports
  • Mac OS Compatibility

In addition I was also having a related problem with the MacBook that affected the built-in display and the two external displays. That problem exhibits all screen displays going black and then each would momentarily flash colorful stripes of yellow, white, and red and then the system would reboot.

These problems seem reminiscent of a graphic display card issue.

This is the graphics system in the laptop:

• AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB / Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I do have AppleCare+ in force for this device.

Can the system be tested to see if there is a device problem?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 7:06 AM

I have the same problem. I tested 2 different Mac Book Pros (M1 and Intel), both with the latest OS Sonoma 14, and 2 USB-C cables. Both have that same issue. I don't use the Parallels Toolbox utility called "Focus on Window" mentioned above. What can I do? It is very annoying.

Similar questions

11 replies

Oct 22, 2023 6:18 AM in response to alex.carr

I don't have Parallels Toolbox, just running stock Ventura 13.x. with a single display.

My '22 Mini has been doing this out of the box — it came with Monterey, upgraded to Ventura, no change — and I've installed a shareware app called "Amphetamine" which jumps in at boot time and basically blocks out any actions involving screen sleep; this mitigates the problem somewhat, but it still blacks out from time to time.

I'm beginning to despair that this will ever be fixed, ever. I'm being pestered to upgrade to Sonoma, but I ask myself "why bother?". No, really, why should I? Have they fixed this truly, truly obnoxious vile bug yet? It's been doing this since Monterey, it's a bug that affects my work, and I really am feeling ignored by Apple.

Jan 17, 2024 9:06 AM in response to TeeJayMarkII

I am currently using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5XBYQSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it uses USB power and seems to have some logic built into it, but it doesn't help. Amphetamine is not having any effect on the issue. I might try the USB C cable you suggest, but that would be another case where a pure "USB C to USB C / No Hub" connection is required, as is the case with Pro Audio Interfaces.

Does anybody recommend a solid USB C Hub with Ethernet ? I also need a wired Network Connection due to a long standing issue with WiFi and Pro Audio Interfaces.

Jun 17, 2023 2:11 PM in response to alex.carr

alex.carr wrote:

• I have a MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 that I use with two external monitors. I have a problem with only one of the monitors and it only surfaced recently after an upgrade to macOS Ventura 13.3.1.

Can the system be tested to see if there is a device problem?

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.4 —I would start there.

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Oct 22, 2023 6:20 AM in response to TeeJayMarkII

See my above reply. I'm using a shareware app called "Amphetamine" which basically disables anything that puts the computer to "sleep". The screen saver will still work, but any other "calls" which put the display to sleep are blocked and disabled. "Amphetamine" has done a fair job of mitigation, but Apple itself is apparently still ignoring us.

Oct 22, 2023 8:13 PM in response to alex.carr

I have the same problem. Don't remember when it started, but Ventura 13.3 could be about right. Now I am on 13.6 and it is still happening. I suspected a hardware problem on my ~25 year old 2nd monitor and eventually replaced it with a new one, plus moved from DVI to VGA to HDMI, with new cables thrown in as well. It's still happening! Apparently random, sometimes not for some hours, sometimes 6 or 8 times a minute without rhyme or reason. Not a thermal effect. My computer is a 2017 27" iMac with 40GB memory, which is otherwise doing fine. Can't upgrade to Sonoma - not compatible any more. I am not running Parallels either.

Jan 16, 2024 10:07 PM in response to alex.carr

I have the same problem with a DELL P3421W 34" display and a "14 MacBook Pro 2023 running Sonoma 14.2.1.

I thought it was the display that was defective but started to realize that when I was using a linux machine with it, it NEVER blacked out. DELL were very good about it and I've been through 2 replacement displays to no avail and it happens no matter what input I use - HDMI, Display Port, USB C . It never occured to me that an Apple product would be the culprit. Very disappointing. I will try Amphetamine.

Mar 4, 2024 10:36 AM in response to FredMaher

Hi everyone - I have an update.

I have stopped using the HDMI port and switched to using one of the Thunderbolt ports to connect to my external monitor which fortunately has a USB-C display-port input. I am using a high quality 40gbps cable and so far the "monitor randomly going black" problem has gone away. Clearly there is something wrong with the HDMI port.

Cheers.

External Monitor goes black for a few seconds randomly throughout the day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.