Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac mini frequently generates message “Your computer has run out of operating memory”.

My Mac m1 frequently generates message “Your computer has run out of operating memory”. How can I permanently fix this problem?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 6:22 PM

I need a solution to the message “Your computer has run out of operating memory”.

The system is only two years old, and I have more than 90% unused RAM. Why am I getting this message? How do I fix it?

5 replies

Jun 14, 2023 4:35 AM in response to TSTLP

Use the Activity Monitor application and make sure to use View >> View All Processes 

What process or processes are using the Most CPU  and Memory ?

Often times - the issue maybe not be one single Process but a combination of Processes

Also, when the computer is using so much Memory - it can be a indicator of a Lack Of Empty Spaces on the Drive.

In which case, the CPU and Memory usage would become Much More because it is searching for Empty Space to save all the Changes the user is performing.

Also, depending on the number of  Open Tabs in your Browser, they can also affect Memory Usage.

All the above maybe seen in the suggested Etrecheck Application suggested by previous Contributor @Luis S above

Below is screen shot from within the Etrecheck Application on how to Share the Full Report

Jun 13, 2023 6:25 PM in response to TSTLP

TSTLP wrote:

I need a solution to the message “Your computer has run out of operating memory”.

The system is only two years old, and I have more than 90% unused RAM. Why am I getting this message? How do I fix it?

I don't know what over 90% unused RAM means. RAM is used dynamically as needed. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. How much free space do you have on your SSD?

Jun 14, 2023 3:36 AM in response to TSTLP

This problem has very little to do with RAM, and is caused by a possible combination of two things:

a) An application that has a "memory leak"

b) Low space is the system drive

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

By looking at the report we will have some idea of what may be causing this.

I suspect we are going to find, amongst other things, that your system drive is nearly full.

Mac mini frequently generates message “Your computer has run out of operating memory”.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.