Reinstalling MacOS Sierra Problem (failing in the last 2 seconds)

Hello everyone,

Recently I purchased an iMac from my university's surplus auction. Part of the policy is to wipe the HDD/SSD of any machine they decommission. Currently I am in the process of reinstalling the OS from Recovery following the instructions here:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

My machine has an intel cpu: i7-7700k so I followed the intel based instructions. Because the system could not see the disk I followed the instructions for erasing my disk here:

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

After I did that (renamed the drive to Macintosh and then formatted it using the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option) the installer could see the drive. The installation started normally but then in the last 2-3 seconds the installation keeps failing giving the following message:

"An error occurred while preparing this installation. Try running this application again."

I have tried the whole process of erasing and reinstalling mutliple times. I also made sure the system clock is in sync with time.apple.com. Also the whole installation is via ethernet and not wifi. The OS version that is to be installed (automatically) is MacOS Sierra.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and how I can potentially fix it?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 8:02 PM

Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

APFS won't work for Sierra, Sierra needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work fir APFS on earlier Macs.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254793247?answerId=258936149022#258936149022

Clean Install of High Sierra: Multiple Fa… - Apple Community

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2023 8:02 PM in response to christos28

Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

APFS won't work for Sierra, Sierra needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work fir APFS on earlier Macs.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254793247?answerId=258936149022#258936149022

Clean Install of High Sierra: Multiple Fa… - Apple Community

Reinstalling MacOS Sierra Problem (failing in the last 2 seconds)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.