no text notifications on iPhone

I keep missing text messages because I'm not getting any sound notification on my phone for text messages

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 5:14 AM

I have been having the same problem. However, it is random. I will get notifications...and then I don't. I was texting with someone and was curious a bit later why i had not heard from them. There was no dot indicating new unread message or sound. Most of the time I get the sound and the dot but occassionaly I do not. Based on that, I know my settings are correct.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 5:14 AM in response to Dillibilly

I have been having the same problem. However, it is random. I will get notifications...and then I don't. I was texting with someone and was curious a bit later why i had not heard from them. There was no dot indicating new unread message or sound. Most of the time I get the sound and the dot but occassionaly I do not. Based on that, I know my settings are correct.

Jun 14, 2023 2:11 AM in response to Dillibilly

Have you enabled Scheduled Summary?

Settings > Notifications > [Select the App that you are having trouble receiving immediate notifications]

See the pic below for a few examples. Please select immediate delivery.

Go to Settings and tap Notifications. Select an app under Notification Style. Under Alerts, choose the alert style that you want. If you turn on Allow Notifications, choose when you want the notifications delivered — immediately or in the scheduled notification summary.

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Change notification settings on iPhone

1. Go to Settings > Notifications.
  2. To schedule a notifications summary, tap Scheduled Summary, then turn on Scheduled Summary. ... 
  3. To choose when you want most notification previews to appear, tap Show Previews, select an option—Always, When Unlocked, or Never—then tap.

More items...

Change notification settings on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)

You can allow access to Notification Center on the Lock Screen. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode (on an iPhone with Face ID) or Touch ID & Passcode (on other iPhone models). Enter your passcode. Scroll down and turn on Notification Center (below Allow Access When Locked).

View and respond to notifications on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)

Jun 29, 2023 6:38 AM in response to Dillibilly

Dillibilly wrote:

I’ve since found that when I’m wearing my Apple Watch I don’t hear notifications on my phone, but if my phone is unlocked, I do. Weird.

No, that's not weird. It's exactly expected behavior.

Phone unlocked/watch unlocked = notifications sound on phone

Phone locked/watch unlocked = notifications sound on watch

Phone locked/watch locked = notifications sound on phone.

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Aug 26, 2023 9:32 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Except, I have this same issue but when I am not wearing my watch and still get no notification on my phone, which is not correct behavior. In fact only messages is affected by what appears to be a software bug in iOS or watch OS as still get alerts from 3rd party apps like WeChat or facebook Messenger.

To make matters worse, it occurs for persons with emergency bypass turned on. That is a real problem since I use it for those with medical issues to reach me.

Sep 7, 2023 5:03 AM in response to kyokoyj

I have not gotten this issue resolved. It happens randomly. My friend is also now having the same problem. The thing that we have in common is we both have Verizon. So not sure if it’s an Apple problem or a Verizon problem. My issue does not involve an Apple Watch or any other device. Just the phone.

Sep 28, 2023 5:31 AM in response to Dillibilly

After iOS 17 had to turn on preview to get text sound, iOS 17.2 no sound, reset settings nothing, I should not have to check my phone every five minutes to see if someone has text me, are your data programmers under stress? do they have to run a gauntlet to get it right? I’m sure it’s counting all the money from overpriced products has your fingers cramped that you can’t type, maybe if you were making less you would remember what your job is, FIX IT!

Dec 6, 2023 11:56 AM in response to Dillibilly

@Dawn63 I resolved this issue by changing my ring tone for text messages: it turns out the ring tone I had set was no longer an option with the new iOS but somehow it carried over in the settings when I transferred the data from my old phone. I was sometimes getting text notifications and sometimes not—totally arbitrarily, no rhyme or reason. When I changed my ring tone to one that was part of the new options the problem resolved! May not work for everyone but it’s worth a try.

Sep 7, 2023 6:37 AM in response to Dawn63

Dawn63 wrote:

I have not gotten this issue resolved. It happens randomly. My friend is also now having the same problem. The thing that we have in common is we both have Verizon. So not sure if it’s an Apple problem or a Verizon problem. My issue does not involve an Apple Watch or any other device. Just the phone.

I've had phone service with Verizon for decades and have never had this problem. I suspect that it is a your phone problem. That is not an attempt to blame you for the problem. The symptom, not getting alerts, has lots of different causes. It can be very hard to figure out what the cause is. Not understanding how the Apple Watch affects notifications is a frequent answer, but, obviously not in your case.

I would suggest that you restore the phone to factory state and do not add any third-party apps. Sync your contacts, calendar, messages, etc back to your phone. Test. If it works, start adding apps back a couple or three at a time to see if the problem recurs. If it does, you'll at least only have to delete a few apps and test again. Is this a royal pain in the patoot? Yes. Is it guaranteed to find the answer? No. But, in my opinion, it's better than sitting around hoping a magical solution will happen.

Dec 6, 2023 10:30 AM in response to kyokoyj

Is there a resolution to this? Four phones, all updated and one does not get text message alerts. Why? Have gone through the suggestions and no results. Who knows how to solve this issue? Did I not pay enough for the one phone (even though they were all the same price)? Do you need a raise Apple? Seems like this is nothing new but no resolution? Why not give another update and screw something else up?

no text notifications on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.