How can play purchased music on my new iMac WITHOUT Apple Music -- not going to pay for music AND a app subscription!

I purchased a lot of music and downloaded it. I can play it on my iPhone without buying Apple Music, but not on my new mac. Why? I paid for the music. This feels manipulative and predatory. Is there a way to get iTunes back on my new Mac? I am not going to pay for Apple Music to hear what I already bought.

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 1:58 PM

You should not have to subscribe to Apple Music to play songs you already purchased. Apple essentially renamed iTunes to Music on the new MacOS (for whatever reason). And you now sync and backup using Finder. When you open Music, you can even "disable" Apple Music from displaying in Music by:

Music > Settings > General

and unselecting Apple Music (in the Show pane). You may also want to see:

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your Mac - Apple Support

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with your Mac - Apple Support

PS - I know the distinction between Music and Apple Music is confusing.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2023 1:58 PM in response to tearingmyhair

You should not have to subscribe to Apple Music to play songs you already purchased. Apple essentially renamed iTunes to Music on the new MacOS (for whatever reason). And you now sync and backup using Finder. When you open Music, you can even "disable" Apple Music from displaying in Music by:

Music > Settings > General

and unselecting Apple Music (in the Show pane). You may also want to see:

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your Mac - Apple Support

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with your Mac - Apple Support

PS - I know the distinction between Music and Apple Music is confusing.

How can play purchased music on my new iMac WITHOUT Apple Music -- not going to pay for music AND a app subscription!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.