Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Your iPhone Unlock Passcode Has Expired

My wife's iPhone 13 Pro Max running iOS 16.5 just received a strange popup message stating "Passcode Expired: Your iPhone unlock passcode has expired" with a "Change Passcode" button. No matter what she did, the message kept returning. She eventually clicked the "Change Passcode" button and changed to a new passcode by entering her current passcode, a new passcode and then reconfirming the new passcode. Everything seems to be running fine at this point. However, we are concerned as to why this happened.

It was my understanding that passcodes did not have an expiration. My only thought is that her University email (MS Exchange), which is setup in the native iPhone mail app (NOT the MS Exchange app), may have somehow forced the changing of the passcode. I did a search for any information related to this issue and almost all the information on the web is from third party apps. There was little or no information that I could find in the Apple Community, Reddit or any other forums.

Any information or thoughts on why this happened and/or if we should be concerned about a potentially malicious software/virus/app would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 8:40 AM

If she has a Echange account set up on the phone, whether in the native mail app or the outlook app, the administrators can enforce policies on the device, including required passcode changes.

There is nothing malicious here.

It's normal.

6 replies

Jun 14, 2023 8:43 AM in response to Jecomer

Jecomer wrote:

It was my understanding that passcodes did not have an expiration. My only thought is that her University email (MS Exchange), which is setup in the native iPhone mail app (NOT the MS Exchange app), may have somehow forced the changing of the passcode. I did a search for any information related to this issue and almost all the information on the web is from third party apps. There was little or no information that I could find in the Apple Community, Reddit or any other forums.

Yes, if her work/university email address is set up on her phone, that can affect a number of things. The Exchange administrator can do things like force her to update the password. You should be able to easily test this by removing the university account from the phone. If the problem stops, you will know that is the reason.

Jun 14, 2023 2:33 PM in response to KiltedTim

Tim,

Thanks so much! It was exactly like I thought and as you suggested. It was her University MS Exchange account. The University must have made a recent change, because soon after I posted this message, the University sent out a memo stating that the Passcode change was a result of University Exchange account on the iPhone. I greatly appreciate your quick response!

Mar 22, 2024 12:23 PM in response to Jecomer

This has happened to me a couple of times, and today, I found a solution. On a different device - not your iPhone - go to appleid.apple.com and change your password; then on your iPhone, change your passcode! Do not - REPEAT - do not enter your passcode in the dialogue box that's locking your phone - this is hacking. I was on the phone with Apple support for about 4 hours yesterday - and one hint from one person about going to the website fixed this issue. Apple support also told me that I should enter my passcode in the dialogue box - and I had to remind her that Apple would not HOLD MY PHONE HOSTAGE for my passcode. My goodness - I don't jump because someone says to. Good luck!

Your iPhone Unlock Passcode Has Expired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.