Transferring data between a broken phone and a new one

My iPhone 6s Plus looks like this, missing the icons.

If I try to do anything in settings the phone stalls. It doesn’t connect to wifi or Bluetooth. I have a new iPhone 13 coming. My question is: will I be able to transfer data from my old phone to the new one if I have saved to iCloud?

Thank you for any help you can give me with this problem. I’m sorry I waited so long to upgrade.

‘Also, I just did an iOS upgrade, is that what did this? I can’t see a way to reverse it.

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2024 3:05 AM

It sounds like your current phone is experiencing some significant issues, possibly related to the recent iOS upgrade. However, you should still be able to transfer your data to your new iPhone 13 if you have been regularly backing up to iCloud. Here’s a step-by-step guide to ensure a smooth transfer:

Check Your iCloud Backup:

• Go to Settings on your current phone.
    • Tap your name at the top, then select iCloud.
    • Tap iCloud Backup to see when your last backup was. If it’s recent, your data should be safe. If it’s not recent, try to back up now, but given your phone's current issues, this might not work.

Set Up Your New iPhone 13:

• Turn on your new iPhone 13 and follow the on-screen setup instructions.
    • When you reach the Apps & Data screen, choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
    • Sign in to your iCloud account and select the most recent backup of your old iPhone.

Complete the Setup:

Additional Tips:

• Ensure Stable Internet Connection: Since your old phone is having connectivity issues, make sure your new phone is connected to a stable WiFi network during the setup process.
  • Troubleshooting Connectivity: If your new phone has issues connecting to WiFi during the setup, try restarting the router or using a different network.

Reversing the iOS Update:

Apple does not officially support downgrading iOS to an earlier version. Once you've upgraded, it's typically a one-way process unless there are specific signed versions of the older iOS available, which is rare.

If All Else Fails:

You can try other method,

[Edited by Moderator]

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2024 3:05 AM in response to Weaver2

It sounds like your current phone is experiencing some significant issues, possibly related to the recent iOS upgrade. However, you should still be able to transfer your data to your new iPhone 13 if you have been regularly backing up to iCloud. Here’s a step-by-step guide to ensure a smooth transfer:

Check Your iCloud Backup:

• Go to Settings on your current phone.
    • Tap your name at the top, then select iCloud.
    • Tap iCloud Backup to see when your last backup was. If it’s recent, your data should be safe. If it’s not recent, try to back up now, but given your phone's current issues, this might not work.

Set Up Your New iPhone 13:

• Turn on your new iPhone 13 and follow the on-screen setup instructions.
    • When you reach the Apps & Data screen, choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
    • Sign in to your iCloud account and select the most recent backup of your old iPhone.

Complete the Setup:

Additional Tips:

• Ensure Stable Internet Connection: Since your old phone is having connectivity issues, make sure your new phone is connected to a stable WiFi network during the setup process.
  • Troubleshooting Connectivity: If your new phone has issues connecting to WiFi during the setup, try restarting the router or using a different network.

Reversing the iOS Update:

Apple does not officially support downgrading iOS to an earlier version. Once you've upgraded, it's typically a one-way process unless there are specific signed versions of the older iOS available, which is rare.

If All Else Fails:

You can try other method,

[Edited by Moderator]

Jun 14, 2023 1:16 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks Tim, I tried to force it by holding the power button and home button until the apple logo showed and it didn’t change anything. I wanted to try to reverse the upgrade but I can’t do anything in settings without it stalling.

I thought that I needed wifi on the old phone to transfer to the new phone so, that’s good news that I don’t, because it won’t let me connect.

Transferring data between a broken phone and a new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.