Touch ID not available suddenly

My iMac (2021 M1) was set up for Touch ID, but it suddenly became unavailable (not given as an option) for lock screen and passwords etc. In systems preference in Touch ID the text is all greyed out. On googled advice I deleted the fingerprint registered hoping I could add another but its still all greyed out and won't let me add another fingerprint? I am on the latest version of Monterey. I have rebooted and done the obvious things. Please can you help??

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 12:37 PM

Sorry but that doesn't help. Its not that my fingerprint isn't registering properly, it just isn't available as an option and is greyed out in Settings.

OMG - I just went back into settings to screenshot so I could show you - and I must have been in and out of there at least 15 times, and it let me add a new fingerprint! Honestly - I wish I had screenshot it before - I know you won't believe me. Anyway - the magic of technology - its working again now. But thanks anyway!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2023 12:37 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Sorry but that doesn't help. Its not that my fingerprint isn't registering properly, it just isn't available as an option and is greyed out in Settings.

OMG - I just went back into settings to screenshot so I could show you - and I must have been in and out of there at least 15 times, and it let me add a new fingerprint! Honestly - I wish I had screenshot it before - I know you won't believe me. Anyway - the magic of technology - its working again now. But thanks anyway!

Touch ID not available suddenly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.