Can I trade in my 8-year-old MacBook Air?

I haven't used my MacBook Air in about 8 years, which was when I began using my work PC as my personal computer. I am now interested in trading in my MacBook Air for a new one. Does the old one need to be in working condition?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 9:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 11:22 PM

I don't know how much – if anything – Apple will give you for it. Apple's trade-in site wants a valid serial number before it will ask you questions about the laptop's condition, or give you an estimated trade-in value.

If it's 8+ years old, and isn't working, Apple might only offer to recycle it for free…

Apple Trade In - Apple

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2023 11:22 PM in response to Benji029

I don't know how much – if anything – Apple will give you for it. Apple's trade-in site wants a valid serial number before it will ask you questions about the laptop's condition, or give you an estimated trade-in value.

If it's 8+ years old, and isn't working, Apple might only offer to recycle it for free…

Apple Trade In - Apple

Jun 16, 2023 11:16 AM in response to babowa

To everyone who replied to my post, I thank you very much. 🙏🏽 I got several years of very productive use out of my MacBook and, hopefully, if it works well with a new battery, I will keep it as a backup. My personal computer needs (and my personal finances) don't warrant me spending lots of money on a new computer, nor getting a more powerful computer with features that I probably wouldn't use often.

Jun 16, 2023 12:30 PM in response to Benji029

If you want to keep it, that's great but you need to tell us the exact model/year so we can help further. That is important because newer models have the battery integrated into the logic board (all one unit) and/or the replacement has to be done by an authorized service provider because it is difficult in models from around 2017.

Can I trade in my 8-year-old MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.