Time Machine Slow

Started yesterday . Time Machine slowly 'finding changes'. Never seems to end

Da

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 3:11 PM

Please refer to If Time Machine is slow on Mac - Apple Support.

5 replies

Jun 16, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Dai Fach

How old is the backup drive? If it's 5 years or older I'd consider replacing it.

What changed if anything? There may just be a large number of changes. Ive seem numbers in the hundreds of thousands and the process finished in about the expected amount of time.

I suggest you erase the TM drive and start over from scratch. If this is your only backup, you might want to do this on a different drive. But starting from no previous TM backup is going to naturally take a while for 150GB of data.

Jun 17, 2023 8:27 AM in response to ku4hx

The Time machine drive is about 2years old. I run into problems every two years, usually ending in 'can't find back up disk, '. buy a new one, same problem after two years. Maybe it's another new drive. Groan.

One thought, Used the Mac heavily last two days. Maybe that's caused the large number of changes and the slow response. Don't really want to start from scratch. My (and Mac) is USB-B, most new ones are USB-C. Adapter?

Time Machine Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.