Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How much iCloud space do I need to backup my phone?

I have a iPhone 10 and I am trying to backup my phone and it will not let me because I do not have enough space but I have 3.2GB I keep deleting stuff and I still can’t. What do I do? How much iCloud space do I need to be aloud to backup my phone?

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 9:01 AM

There's not a simple answer. It mostly depends upon the amount of stuff on your device and how much space you have on iCloud. You could also have multiple devices backing up to iCloud all making demand of your iCloud storage. Items in common to them and synced to iCloud will use storage but it won't be duplicated if multiple devices have similar content. Have a look at these support articles:

Check your iCloud storage on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

If you can't back up to iCloud, read this support article --> If you can't back up to iCloud - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2023 9:01 AM in response to Livithepickel

There's not a simple answer. It mostly depends upon the amount of stuff on your device and how much space you have on iCloud. You could also have multiple devices backing up to iCloud all making demand of your iCloud storage. Items in common to them and synced to iCloud will use storage but it won't be duplicated if multiple devices have similar content. Have a look at these support articles:

Check your iCloud storage on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

If you can't back up to iCloud, read this support article --> If you can't back up to iCloud - Apple Support

How much iCloud space do I need to backup my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.