Midi tracks orchestral samples delay

Can you me find the solution to this issue using LogicPro when composing? I use orchestral MIDI samples, and there's a slight delay so all the MIDI tracks are slighty out of sync. I've tried fixing it with the Track delay feature and decreasing it but it's still a hassle because I have many tracks and just listening by ear with the metronome and decreasing the values is not perfect. Is there another way to solve this issue and have all my tracks perfectly in sync?

Would something like bouncing all my tracks help me or is there a better solution? I've been looking for ages, and all I see are the same tips about the track delay...

MacBook Pro 16″, 13.4

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 12:09 PM

Hi

Perhaps this spreadsheet will help you calculate the appropriate negative delays rather than doing it by ear?

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/negative-track-delay-database-spreadsheet.105332/

If you are using Kontakt libraries, this script may also help

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/the-variable-delay-compensator-v1-5-another-multi-script-for-css-but-for-any-others-too.135104/

CCT

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2023 12:09 PM in response to Ryvius

Hi

Perhaps this spreadsheet will help you calculate the appropriate negative delays rather than doing it by ear?

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/negative-track-delay-database-spreadsheet.105332/

If you are using Kontakt libraries, this script may also help

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/the-variable-delay-compensator-v1-5-another-multi-script-for-css-but-for-any-others-too.135104/

CCT

Jun 18, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Ryvius

Latency is a challenge in digital computer music. You must understand what is causing latency in general to reduce it.

• Preferences > Audio > Devices > I/O Buffer Size

This type of latency is related to the computer (power) and the sound card. The smaller the buffer size, the lower the latency, but the higher the CPU load. Finding the right buffer size for your project, computer, and sound card requires a lot of trial and error. Buffer sizes that are too small will cause glitches, spikes, and crackles.

• Latency caused by plugins:

Every computation causes latency. Some plugins need more, some less. As a rule of thumb, simple EQs or compressors/limiter do not need much computing power. Pitch-related plugins or fancy sound design plugins can cause huge latency. This is valid for software instruments too. Some need more some need less CPU power.

• We all love Latency Compensation, ( Preferences > Audio > General > Plugin Latency > Compensation > ...)

this adds a delay to all other tracks which don't a heavy computational plugins inserted. Without latency compensation, every track would have it's own latency. That would be a nightmare, especially for rhythmic events. Now, because of the smart use of delays, we have only one summed latency.

Sample Rate:

Project Setting > Audio > General > Sample Rate

Although, I never change my sample rate for latency reasons, it's good to know that the higher the sample rate, the lower the latency, but the higher the CPU load.

• Maybe I forgot some other latency causing effects...

Logic Pro has a feature to combat latency in recording: Low Latency Mode.

Preferences > Audio > General > Plugin Latency > Low Latency Mode

Low Latency Mode disables some plugins, but you can record almost without latency (still depending on the I/O settings). It's important to disable Low Latency Mode after the recording and while playing back. In some configurations, such as using UAD plugins, Low Latency Mode must be enabled all the time. In this case the plugins are computed on external hardware. Please read the vendor's manuals.

Track delay and Region Delay:

I use Region Delay (and Track Delay) very often. But only for musical reasons, e.g. when an instrument or audio file (or track) needs to be adjusted in one direction or the other.

Avoid to play with Recording Delay.

I hope this helps a little.

Jun 19, 2023 5:26 AM in response to yoyoBen

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, actually I might have explained it a big wrong. It's not due to any plugins or any specific material. The samples that I used often have intentional slight delays built (strings/woodwinds/brass mostly). I've already used the track delay but on 50+ tracks it can be a hassle doing it by ear with a metronome... That was why I was asking if there was any specific tool to help with that. I heard that bouncing all the tracks could then help syncing them but i've yet to try...

Midi tracks orchestral samples delay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.