Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook to Cinema Display connection issues

Hello Apple Lovers,

I just connected my 2006 MBAir, using the built in thunderbolt port, to the DVI adapter that is just one of the 4 cables built into the 23" HD Cinema Display I have recently been gifted. The monitor immediately recognized & displayed the MBAir. However, I was unable to proceed any further. My laptop commands did not convey to the monitor. My goal is mostly to stream from laptop to monitor.

Meanwhile, a message box has popped up on my laptop. It advises

"USB ACCESSORIES DISABLED

Unplug the accessory using too much power to enable USB devices."

Which I have done.

What is the next step necessary?

I'm curious to hear any feedback before I gift this monitor to someone else.

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 9:33 AM

After doing a bit of checking, it sounds like the 23" Apple HD Cinema Display does not have built-in speakers. Looking at all 23" Apple displays from the last 20 years in MacTracker:

• Apple Cinema HD Display – Size: 23", Connections: ADC, Audio: None
  • Apple Cinema Display (23-inch DVI) – Size: 23", Connection: DVI, Audio: None.
  • Apple Cinema Display (23-inch DVI Late 2005) – Size: 23", Connection: DVI, Audio: None.

Apple's user manual – which internally refers to three displays, one of which is the "23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display, model A1082," makes no reference to speakers:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA467/en_US/CinemaDisplays_20_23_30inchUserGuide.pdf

If you want external speakers to go along with that monitor, it sounds like your options are to buy a separate audio system, such as a powered computer speaker system with a 3.5" mm stereo mini-plug (to plug into your Air's headphone jack), or a USB sound card (to which to attach powered speakers or a stereo system).

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 9:33 AM in response to mancr14lass

After doing a bit of checking, it sounds like the 23" Apple HD Cinema Display does not have built-in speakers. Looking at all 23" Apple displays from the last 20 years in MacTracker:

• Apple Cinema HD Display – Size: 23", Connections: ADC, Audio: None
  • Apple Cinema Display (23-inch DVI) – Size: 23", Connection: DVI, Audio: None.
  • Apple Cinema Display (23-inch DVI Late 2005) – Size: 23", Connection: DVI, Audio: None.

Apple's user manual – which internally refers to three displays, one of which is the "23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display, model A1082," makes no reference to speakers:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA467/en_US/CinemaDisplays_20_23_30inchUserGuide.pdf

If you want external speakers to go along with that monitor, it sounds like your options are to buy a separate audio system, such as a powered computer speaker system with a 3.5" mm stereo mini-plug (to plug into your Air's headphone jack), or a USB sound card (to which to attach powered speakers or a stereo system).

Jun 17, 2023 5:20 AM in response to mancr14lass

There were two 2013 MacBook Airs – an 11" Mid 2013 model, and a 13" Mid 2013 model. Both have Thunderbolt 1 ports that support resolutions of up to 2560 by 1600 pixels, and that can drive up to two Thunderbolt displays (or, I believe, a single Mini DisplayPort display).

DVI doesn't carry audio (or didn't, originally), so if that monitor has speakers, you may need to connect them another way.

It seems like it shouldn't be necessary, but do you have a powered USB hub that you could connect between the computer and monitor?

Jun 18, 2023 7:41 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Yes, mine is the mid 2013 13" MBAir. Yes, the 23" HD Cinema Display does have internal speakers.

I now understand that the DVI doesn't carry audio but have yet to figure out how to proceed, how to "connect them another way" as you say.

I was advised to access System Preferences on MBAir, click on SOUND & then the OUTPUT tab.

Been there, done that. The popup advises me to "pick a device". Unfortunately the only device in the output tab is "internal speakers" "built in" which I presume refers to the laptop speakers.

Nothing in OUTPUT tab relates to my problem so I am obviously missing an important element. More cables? An adapter? DVI to HDMI maybe? The laptop does not have a HDMI port so I'd need a HDMI to USB adapter also?More head scratching, for now at least.

The picture on the monitor is excellent meanwhile! The audio coming from the laptop is acceptable but ........

Thank you very much for your time & advice.

MacBook to Cinema Display connection issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.