iPad Mini 5 Charging Problem

I am using an iPad Mini 5 running iPadOS 16.5. Recently whenever I attempt to recharge it via the supplied charger and cable I get a not charging message after a few seconds. If I pull the cable out of the iPad and firmly reinsert it, charging will often but not always recommence. Eventually the iPad does charge up. I have used the charger and cable with my iPhone 11 and had no problems. Is there anything I can do to the iPad, e.g. Attempt to clean the lightning socket?

iPad mini (5th generation)

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 1:10 AM

If there’s a problem with the Lightning port of your iPad, this will be identified by the technicians when the iPad is tested.

As previously advised, a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will provide opportunity for the technicians to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 1:10 AM in response to zooth

If there’s a problem with the Lightning port of your iPad, this will be identified by the technicians when the iPad is tested.

As previously advised, a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will provide opportunity for the technicians to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Jun 17, 2023 3:39 PM in response to zooth

These support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, if you have access to another Apple device, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Jun 18, 2023 12:12 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the advice and links provided. To clarify, I used the iPad Mini’s power adapter and lead to charge up my iPhone with no problems at all. I have done this several times without any problems so could the iPad charger have an intermittent faulty whereby it sometimes cannot deliver enough power to charge it up but is OK with the lesser demands of the iPhone? However I still wonder if there is some kind of physical problem with the socket in the iPad Mini?

Mar 21, 2024 4:57 PM in response to zooth

I am using genuine apple charging cords and charger, both bought at the Apple store. After acouple of months the it stops charging. If I jiggle it enough it will start to charge again but then it stops again. This has also happened with other genuine Apple cords and chargers on both my iPad and iPhone chargers and cords. When In buy a new cord it works for a few weeks then that cord fails, too. Apple cords are expensive. At this rate I’ll be spending almost $100 a yesr on charging cords alone This looks to me like planned obsolescence and it doesn’t speak well of Apple.

iPad Mini 5 Charging Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.