MPB doesn't recognize Sandisk SSD anymore

MPB doesn't recognize Sandisk SSD anymore. I thought I formatted it for this Mac and for PC. I've used files from this SSD on my MBP before. I did plug the SSD into a PC recently and it read fine. Now my MBP doesn't recognize it anymore. What happened, and how can I fix this?

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 5:11 PM

We occasionally see drives fail when they were not ERASEd when new, but the maker's Utilities, including Paragon or Tuxiera NTFS Drivers were installed. All proceeds fine until that Driver is not included in the MacOS image being used, then the drive 'mysteriously' stops working.

A drive set up by the maker as Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) can have MacOS Volumes created on it, either MacOS extended or APFS, when those Utilities are present. But when the Utilities are not there (a different Mac, a different MacOS, or something else) the drive won't mount. But It will show up in Disk Utility.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2023 5:11 PM in response to Potumba

We occasionally see drives fail when they were not ERASEd when new, but the maker's Utilities, including Paragon or Tuxiera NTFS Drivers were installed. All proceeds fine until that Driver is not included in the MacOS image being used, then the drive 'mysteriously' stops working.

A drive set up by the maker as Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) can have MacOS Volumes created on it, either MacOS extended or APFS, when those Utilities are present. But when the Utilities are not there (a different Mac, a different MacOS, or something else) the drive won't mount. But It will show up in Disk Utility.

Jun 18, 2023 7:34 PM in response to Potumba

<< I did plug the SSD into a PC recently and it read fine. Now my MBP doesn't recognize it anymore. >>

Look at the last line of the report:

It looks like the PC changed the partition TYPE, which is now "Microsoft Basic Data" partition.

MacOS has no clue how to Mount a drive of that partition-type.

It can create and read and write and format exFAT drives, a common PC format.

Jun 18, 2023 7:39 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ugh.

Looks like I will have to use that SSD for work stuff- which is done on PC.

Thanks so much for your help. It helps me to understand what NOT to do! (That means stay away from PCs, I guess. never the twain shall meet.....haha!!)

Off-topic, but what is a good-affordable- 1 or 2TB SSD for my MBP? I'll need to transfer all my docs from my 2015 MBP- AGAIN.

MPB doesn't recognize Sandisk SSD anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.