Need help reinstalling MacOS

I was trying to re-install macOS on my intel based macbook pro 2016 because I was going to sell it, however after I erased/formatted the disk, it was showing error when I tried to re-install Sierra under internet recovery. I did First aid, made two partitions, but it always got stuck a few minutes into the installation and showed the same error. Really not sure what to do now...

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 9:51 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 17, 2023 10:53 PM in response to tim_mia

Continued from my previous reply.

tim_mia Said:

"Need help reinstalling MacOS: Thank you for replying! The dulled-out Mount button for the top "APPLE SSD AP02" is actually not click-able, only the "Macintosh HD" below it can be clicked/changed, and it was already mounted when I tried to install the system"

-------

Installing the MacOS on an Empty Drive:

Incompatibility may be the issue here. If so, then that is because your Mac does not have the hardware to go past a certain macOS.

I. Determine which macOS(s) can be Installed:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

then...

III. Perform the Install:

A. First, Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

B. Finally, Install the MacOS:

• Use WiFi or Ethernet: You an use Ethernet or WiFi. Using a hardware connection(Ethernet) is usually more reliable than a wireless one(WiFi). Use this adapter, if you have no Ethernet connection: Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - Apple
  • Use Internet Recovery Mode: Hold these three keys down upon boot: Option-Command-R
  • Use a Bootable Installer: Go Here: Create a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support. Using Terminal, you'd connect a USB Flash Drive, and then install it with the following command. You need a different Mac to create one --ask a friend or family member if you may use their Mac to create it.

Jun 17, 2023 10:16 PM in response to tim_mia

tim_mia Said:

"Need help reinstalling MacOS: I was trying to re-install macOS on my intel based macbook pro 2016 because I was going to sell it, however after I erased/formatted the disk, it was showing error when I tried to re-install Sierra under internet recovery. I did First aid, made two partitions, but it always got stuck a few minutes into the installation and showed the same error. Really not sure what to do now..."

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Mount the Drive:

Looking at your second screenshot, the Mount button is dulled-out. So, mount the drive, and try once more.

Screenshot:

Jun 18, 2023 12:00 AM in response to TheLittles

I figured out the problem... I was pressing cmd+R when rebooting which brought me to Sierra internet recovery where the installation of system couldn't go through(must be a server problem since it's an old OS). Instead I should've pressed option+cmd+R when rebooting which would bring me to Monterey internet recovery where I was able to format the disk using APFS and the installation also went smoothly. I'm sure installing from a bootable usb will do the trick too.

Thank you so much for the help! Really appreciate it!

Jun 17, 2023 10:40 PM in response to tim_mia

tim_mia Said:

"Need help reinstalling MacOS: Thank you for replying! The dulled-out Mount button for the top "APPLE SSD AP02" is actually not click-able, only the "Macintosh HD" below it can be clicked/changed, and it was already mounted when I tried to install the system"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Use a USB Bootable Installer:

What's the model of your Mac? Try creating and using a USB Bootable Installer to install the macOS via a local connection (USB), rather then a remote connection (Internet Recovery Mode). Unfortunately, there is no option available for creating one for macOS Sierra. Here is the link to do so: Create a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support

Verify What you Can Install:

See my following reply.

Need help reinstalling MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.