Will the1st gen Magic Keyboard work with the current (2023) iPad pro

I have a 2019 iPad Pro 12.9" and a 1st gen Magic Keyboard. I am considering upgrading my iPad. Will my 1st gen keyboard work with the current iPads. I remember reading somewhere that the current iPads are slightly thicker than the 2019's.

iPad Pro (3rd generation)

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 8:01 AM

4 replies

Jun 18, 2023 8:49 AM in response to spgMD

As illustrated, your iPad Magic Keyboard was designed for the fourth (or later) generation iPad Pro. The magnets that hold the iPad to the Magic Keyboard have the same arrangement as the newer models.

The “closed” dimensions may be a little tight - however, the Keyboard is technically usable with the third-sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9”.

Jun 18, 2023 8:21 AM in response to spgMD

The third generation iPad Pro 12.9” (2018) and the fourth generation iPad Pro 12.9” (2020) have the same outer case dimensions. However, the third and fourth generations of the iPad Pro 12.9” differ in their rear camera arrangement.

Your existing Magic Keyboard will lack the larger cutout necessary to accommodate the the rear camera array “bump” of the fourth or later generation iPad Pro. For this reason, you’ll not be able to mount the newer iPad on your older Magic Keyboard.

By contrast, a current-model Magic Keyboard, with the larger aperture, will accommodate the third-generation iPad Pro 12.9”

Jun 18, 2023 8:35 AM in response to LotusPilot

The first gen keybaord was made for the 2020 ipad pro, so it has the larger camera cut out (see photo below). But I believe the current ipad's are a hair wider then the 2020/2018 ipads. Per specs, the current 12.9" ipad is actually 6.4 mm. I am not sure if my 1st gen keyboard will acomodate this extra half mm.

Will the1st gen Magic Keyboard work with the current (2023) iPad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.