Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

No 4K (AKA: 2160) 60 FPS for iMovie

So, why is there no 4K (AKA: 2160) 60 FPS for iMovie?

I know most people have been asking that same question. But after I've run a few tests for my video to be imported as 4K60. It only said 4K

Here's the proof of these 3 screenshots right here:

NOTE: I know it's related to iMovie for my MacBook Air M1. But the 1st screenshot was taken on my iPhone SE 3

There's your proof right there. If you have any specific answers to my question. Please leave them in the comments below

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 11:26 AM

To clarify: You import the 4K 60fps clip into iMovie. It will import into the iMovie media browser (as opposed to the timeline) as a 4k 60fps clip. You then can select the clip in the media browser view, and export it from there as a 4k 60fps clip. But once you move it to the timeline, you can only export the project as 4K 30fps, or 1080 60 fps. Of course, it's not much help to be able to export a 4K 60 fps clip from the iMovie media browser, as very little editing can be done to it from there. You can apply filters, color adjustments, and some other audio/video effects from the tool bar in the upper right of the project screen. You can also do some cropping. However, you wouldn't have the other editing options that would be available if editing from the timeline, like, titles, transitions, etc.

-- Rich

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 11:26 AM in response to pF Eric

To clarify: You import the 4K 60fps clip into iMovie. It will import into the iMovie media browser (as opposed to the timeline) as a 4k 60fps clip. You then can select the clip in the media browser view, and export it from there as a 4k 60fps clip. But once you move it to the timeline, you can only export the project as 4K 30fps, or 1080 60 fps. Of course, it's not much help to be able to export a 4K 60 fps clip from the iMovie media browser, as very little editing can be done to it from there. You can apply filters, color adjustments, and some other audio/video effects from the tool bar in the upper right of the project screen. You can also do some cropping. However, you wouldn't have the other editing options that would be available if editing from the timeline, like, titles, transitions, etc.

-- Rich

Jun 18, 2023 10:25 AM in response to pF Eric

Hi, pF Eric,

This is a consumer forum.  Unless Apple publishes an explanatory bulletin or asks for input, we have no knowledge of, or input into,  the reasoning for Apple's software decisions.   

Apple says that iMovie for Mac will export 1080p 60 fps, and

4K 30 fps.   It cannot export a project at 4K 60 fps.

One can import a 4k 60 fps clip into iMovie, and export it as 4K 60fps from the media browser.  But once a 4K 60 fps clip is dragged into the timeline of a project, iMovie will reduce it to 4K 30fps, and export it at 4K 30 fps.  If the 60 fps frame rate is of prime importance, you can export the project at 1080 60fps. 

-- Rich 

No 4K (AKA: 2160) 60 FPS for iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.