Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

I have optimize iPhone storage on but it won't upload photos to cloud from iphone 12 iOS 16.5

I have optimize iPhone storage on but it won't upload photos to iCloud from iPhone 12 Pro. I am running iOS 16.5. I have completed ALL of these steps:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos.
  2. Tap Sync this iPhone. In iOS 15 or earlier, tap to turn on iCloud Photos.
  3. Select Optimize iPhone Storage to save space on your device.

Still my phone is full and the photos remain on my phone. What gives?

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 6:00 AM

You are asking the right questions and I don’t think the person answering you is giving you the correct information.

When you have Optimize Photos turned on, and plenty of storage in iCloud, full-size photos are supped to be stored in iCloud (that can be downloaded as needed) and low resolution thumbnails are supposed to be saved on your phone, in order to FREE UP storage on your phone.

Sometimes there’s a glitch and the iPhone keeps the full-size photos on the phone and store then fills up.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 6:00 AM in response to Mandy dalton

You are asking the right questions and I don’t think the person answering you is giving you the correct information.

When you have Optimize Photos turned on, and plenty of storage in iCloud, full-size photos are supped to be stored in iCloud (that can be downloaded as needed) and low resolution thumbnails are supposed to be saved on your phone, in order to FREE UP storage on your phone.

Sometimes there’s a glitch and the iPhone keeps the full-size photos on the phone and store then fills up.

Jun 18, 2023 9:52 AM in response to Mandy dalton

Syncing with iCloud doesn't remove photos from the phone. iCloud is a syncing service, NOT an archive. If you are out of space on your iPhone, the only way to get more space is to delete things from your iPhone you don't need or use. But, syncing with iCloud, means when you delete a photo from your iPhone, it will delete on all devices you sync with iCloud, including in iCloud itself.

A better solution would be to use another photo backup service, such as Google Photos or Amazon Photos (if you're a prime member), dropbox, or any myriad of photo storage options.

You can also transfer the photos from your iPhone to your home computer directly by following the directions in this link --> Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC – Apple Support (UK)

Once you have safely moved your photos to the backup service you choose, then you can safely remove them from your iPhone. But they will also be removed from iCloud as well.

Next time you purchase an iPhone, you should seriously consider one with more memory. You clearly don't have enough memory on the phone you currently own and once purchased, memory can never be increased.

Jun 19, 2023 9:56 AM in response to Mandy dalton

Then why purchase additional memory on iCloud? It seems that additional memory on the cloud is useless if the phone does not upload photos to maximize space on the phone. I did not intend it as an archive. More like a way to manage phone memory until I can archive. It seems iCloud memory is useless if you can't use it to free up memory on your phone.

Jun 19, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Mandy dalton

Yes, selecting optimize iPhone storage to save space does reduce the bit size of photos. But it does NOT add memory to your iPhone. I'm sorry if you didn't understand that buying more space in the cloud to sync data didn't increase space on your iPhone. It was never designed to give you more space on your iPhone. The memory on your iPhone was fixed at purchase and there is no way to increase the space on your iPhone. Syncing with iCloud, permits you to access your data on any device you own using the same Apple ID. You could for example see a photo on your iPhone and see the same photo on your iPad or Mac. The more space you have the cloud, the more data you can sync, but it does not and cannot increase the available memory on any device.

Jun 19, 2023 12:34 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I think you missed the point entirely and of course do not expect that the memory on my iPhone would magically increase.

I thought that iCloud that if optimize font storage was turned on, iCloud would upload photos and take them off of my phone in the same way it optimizes storage by removing apps to iCloud when the apps have not been used for a while. I bought the extra memory in iCloud to facilitate the sharing of all of my photos between my devices as well as my other data. If iCloud merely syncs the data and does not store any thing extra memory seems hardly necessary since it is merely a tool. (Btw my storage on my two iPhones is the most available when I purchased them new.

Jun 19, 2023 1:54 PM in response to Mandy dalton

I didn't miss your point at all. You simply didn't understand that using iCloud, even with optimized storage on, would NOT remove the photos from your iPhone. Whether you needed the extra memory in iCloud, I don't know. Apple gives you 5GB of free space in iCloud. If you need more than 5GB (many of us do), then you need to buy more space in the cloud. You actually never said how much iCloud space you were using.

I'm sorry you didn't understand how this all works. We often have people come here who don't understand how iCloud works

I have optimize iPhone storage on but it won't upload photos to cloud from iphone 12 iOS 16.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.