Has the faulty print driver issue been fixed by Apple / Epson?

Mac with Ventura - no printing to my Epson 3880, which has been absolutely fine for years of Mac OS X updates - until Ventura - what is Apple doing to its community?

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 1:59 PM

As the Epson 3880 printer is not supported in Apple's built-in AirPrint, you are dependent upon Epson to continue providing a compatible driver for newer upgrades of macOS (e.g. Ventura). If they do, it is your responsibility to download and install that driver, and if they don't it would be time to acquire a networked printer that is supported by the built-in Apple AirPrint.

Epson released an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 driver update on Oct 2022 for Ventura. Consider installing it and not blame Apple. If you already installed this driver and it does not work, contact Epson support and let them know.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 1:59 PM in response to donconnors

As the Epson 3880 printer is not supported in Apple's built-in AirPrint, you are dependent upon Epson to continue providing a compatible driver for newer upgrades of macOS (e.g. Ventura). If they do, it is your responsibility to download and install that driver, and if they don't it would be time to acquire a networked printer that is supported by the built-in Apple AirPrint.

Epson released an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 driver update on Oct 2022 for Ventura. Consider installing it and not blame Apple. If you already installed this driver and it does not work, contact Epson support and let them know.

Jun 18, 2023 1:56 PM in response to donconnors

I had an over 10-year old Epson that worked with Ventura. It needed a new ICA driver for the scanner when Big Sur was released.

When the gears disintegrated, I replaced it with an ET-2550 that works flawlessly with Ventura.

They seem to have a driver released about the same time as Ventura. Does it not work? What doesn't it do.

I just use AirPrint as it is all I need.

Can you provide some details.

Jun 18, 2023 2:19 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks Viking: I have been in touch with Epson. I have used their Uninstall to wipe the 3880 from my Mac. I have installed the latest driver. Result:

I always get a paper error. In the printer settings, the only available feed is Sheet Feeder - but I'm using the Top Loader as I have for many years. But I can't choose it. So I get a Paper Setting Error on the LCD.

But thanks, again, Viking for telling me my responsibilities.

Has the faulty print driver issue been fixed by Apple / Epson?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.