Error message "The operation can’t be completed because the device disappeared" When Copying files on to an external drive

I get an error message "The operation can’t be completed because the device disappeared" when I try yo copy files on to an external drive. Im using an M1 Macbook air with the latest version of ventura and it seems to be one specific drive. I have been able to use this drive on a windows pc with no issues but I always get the same issue on my mac. The drive is detected and I can view files but can not copy or save files. I have seen similar discussions to this with older mac OS versions but updating doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 2:37 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 18, 2023 3:28 PM in response to amcs

amcs Said:

"Error message 'The operation can’t be completed because the device disappeared' When Copying files on to an external drive: [...]I have been able to use this drive on a windows pc with no issues but I always get the same issue on my Mac.[...]"

-------

View the Format of this Disk:

Going into Disk Utility, what do you see for a format type. Using ExFAT, you'd be able to use this on a Mac and PC. So, I recommend getting an external drive off the shelf at a local retailer, and use it from there. If you want to use it on your Mac alone, then APFS is what to use with macOS 13.5.

Finding the Format:

1. Click: the Desktop
  2. Click: the Go menu
  3. Open: Disk Utility
  4. Click: this Disk
  5. View: Type
  6. What is seen in the far-right?

Jun 19, 2023 5:44 AM in response to amcs

The error message "The operation can't be completed because the device disappeared" typically indicates a problem with the connection between your Mac and the external drive. Here are a few suggestions you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check the cable and ports: Ensure that the cable connecting the external drive to your Mac is securely plugged in on both ends. If possible, try using a different USB cable or port on your Mac to rule out any potential issues with the connection.

2. Restart your Mac: Sometimes, a simple restart can fix connectivity issues. Restart your Mac and then try accessing the external drive again.

3. Update macOS: Ensure that you are running the latest version of macOS Ventura on your M1 MacBook Air. Apple often releases updates that address various issues, including compatibility problems with external devices

4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC): Resetting the SMC can help resolve hardware-related issues. For M1 Macs like the MacBook Air, the process is slightly different compared to Intel-based Macs.

5. Check for drive compatibility: Although your external drive works fine on a Windows PC, it's possible that there may be compatibility issues with macOS. Visit the manufacturer's website for the external drive and check if there are any specific drivers or software updates available for macOS.

6. Test the drive on another Mac: If possible, try connecting the external drive to another Mac computer to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem lies with the drive itself or your specific Mac.

7. Backup and reformat the drive: If you have the option to do so, consider backing up the data on the external drive and reformatting it using a file system compatible with both macOS and Windows, such as exFAT. Formatting will erase all data on the drive, so make sure you have a backup before proceeding.

If none of these suggestions resolve the issue, it may be worth contacting Apple Support or the manufacturer of the external drive for further assistance. Further, in case of any data loss situation, you can opt for data recovery software, to recover your lost or deleted data from an external drive!

[Link edited by Moderator]

Error message "The operation can’t be completed because the device disappeared" When Copying files on to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.