Reduce backup size instructions are wrong

#5 is wrong; it deleted all my data and had to do a full backup again. I just wanted to delete all data from only 1 app to reduce backup size. APPLE: Please correct wording so that it states ALL backups will be deleted.

Reduce the size of your iCloud Backup

When you back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iCloud, the most important information on your device is backed up automatically. Learn more about what iCloud backs up.

Many apps automatically back up to iCloud after you install them. You can decrease the size of your iCloud Backup and free up space in iCloud when you stop backing up apps that you don't use or delete old iCloud backups. 

Choose which apps to back up on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Manage Account Storage or tap Manage Storage, then tap Backups.
  3. Tap the name of the device that you're using.
  4. Turn off any apps that you don't want to back up.
  5. Choose Turn Off & Delete.

iPad Pro, 16

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 3:15 PM

You omitted a critical part of the article - the part that follows your quote from the article.

For future reference, here is the source of the article you quoted (which took me a while to track down):

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

And here is what is stated under the item 5 that you underlined (with my underlining added for emphasis):

”When you confirm that you want to Turn Off & Delete an app, it turns off iCloud Backup for that app and removes all of its information from iCloud.”

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2023 3:15 PM in response to SCTom1

You omitted a critical part of the article - the part that follows your quote from the article.

For future reference, here is the source of the article you quoted (which took me a while to track down):

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

And here is what is stated under the item 5 that you underlined (with my underlining added for emphasis):

”When you confirm that you want to Turn Off & Delete an app, it turns off iCloud Backup for that app and removes all of its information from iCloud.”

Jun 19, 2023 3:50 PM in response to sberman

Yes, both replies are correct. Thank you. I must have missed the #2 step of “manage storage”. Therefore I did not get the popup to delete the app. Only the choice at the bottom to turn off and delete the backup. Which sounded like what #5 says.

Since my original post is wrong, it can be deleted so nobody else sees it.

Separately, I keep getting a notice my session has expired after less than 30 seconds, have to log in again and again, with face ID that brings me here to write a post. Logged back in 6x for this reply.

some days you are the pigeon, other days you are the statue…

Reduce backup size instructions are wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.