Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

System use of drive storage too high (I think?)

My system (MacBook Pro, OS-Monterey 12.6.6, Intel 5 chips) seems to be using an inordinate amount of storage space - 176GB on my 250GB drive. What's up with that and what can I do to reduce it?

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 6:23 PM

Hi jellik7292

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "System use of drive storage too high (I think?) seems to be using an inordinate amount of storage space -

176GB on my 250GB drive. What's up with that and what can I do to reduce it?"

Apologies for the tardy reply.

Re: What's up with that

The way I understand it: Seems the system uses some space to keep your Mac operating smoothly, yet there can also be temporary files etc., from various apps that the system can delete if it needs the space to operate.

Re: what can I do to reduce it?

Seems the actual "system" storage can not be modified without causing harm.

The recommended way to handle reducing the system storage amount seems to be by working through the apps that have various files taking up space there, and, especially, deleting large files in those apps.

A Mac needs at least 50 Gb free for your Operating System to work smoothly

Most accurate place to check: Apple menu > About This Mac, then click Storage.

For more detail and tips: See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

For starters: It is wise to back up everything on your Mac: (eg: to an external storage drive), before deleting anything / unnecessary data / files / etc.

Eg: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

or

How to: Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

NB: If you use iCloud: files you delete from your Mac will delete anywhere else that is in sync via iCloud

How to: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

____________________________________________________________________________________________

You may want to browse through Apple support's articles below, to check out ways of reclaiming space

How to: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

How to: Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

How to: Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

After freeing up space, you may need to empty the bin, and restart your Mac in order to see the most accurate new estimate of storage space. (Eg: Apple menu > About this Mac)

If needed: MacBook Pro Support website (info. / support / contact):

MacBook Pro - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 6:23 PM in response to jellik7292

Hi jellik7292

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "System use of drive storage too high (I think?) seems to be using an inordinate amount of storage space -

176GB on my 250GB drive. What's up with that and what can I do to reduce it?"

Apologies for the tardy reply.

Re: What's up with that

The way I understand it: Seems the system uses some space to keep your Mac operating smoothly, yet there can also be temporary files etc., from various apps that the system can delete if it needs the space to operate.

Re: what can I do to reduce it?

Seems the actual "system" storage can not be modified without causing harm.

The recommended way to handle reducing the system storage amount seems to be by working through the apps that have various files taking up space there, and, especially, deleting large files in those apps.

A Mac needs at least 50 Gb free for your Operating System to work smoothly

Most accurate place to check: Apple menu > About This Mac, then click Storage.

For more detail and tips: See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

For starters: It is wise to back up everything on your Mac: (eg: to an external storage drive), before deleting anything / unnecessary data / files / etc.

Eg: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

or

How to: Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

NB: If you use iCloud: files you delete from your Mac will delete anywhere else that is in sync via iCloud

How to: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

____________________________________________________________________________________________

You may want to browse through Apple support's articles below, to check out ways of reclaiming space

How to: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

How to: Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

How to: Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

After freeing up space, you may need to empty the bin, and restart your Mac in order to see the most accurate new estimate of storage space. (Eg: Apple menu > About this Mac)

If needed: MacBook Pro Support website (info. / support / contact):

MacBook Pro - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

System use of drive storage too high (I think?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.