When I try and record directly in FCP my voice is not synced

Ever since the last update (today is Jun 20 2023) I've had problems with FCP X syncing me with my recordings. I've gone round and round with making sure the project settings match what Im recording in. I've tried importing my iphone recording, tried recording directly in FCP. I moved the master file to my local drive so speed should not be an issue. I've been recording for over 10 years now and never have had this issue. Any ideas I may be missing in my troubleshooting? Is there a problem with latest CODEC? Im bewildered.

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 9:01 AM

4 replies

Jun 20, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hey Tom. I've tried several different ways. My goal is to record a video talking head of me explaining something. I bring it into FCP to add the intro and edits to remove ums and pauses etc.

My FCP project is set at 29.97 fps stereo at 48 khz

I use a Tascam audio recorded set at 48 hz as well. I sync after importing to FCP.

My camera is the iPhone 14. It is set at 1080p at 30fps

I've tried filming directly from my iPhone via Quicktime which looks great and syncs until I bring into FCP. I think this is where the problem is. Its the only thing different.

I just tested filming directly from my phone and it seems that worked better than using Quicktime.

So maybe I just solved the issue? I will test this further. Any tips are appreciated.

Jun 20, 2023 11:05 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes. I see the problem now. I assumed I could use Quicktime to record directly from my iPhone but it changes the iphone settings and overrides them. It threw everything off. With QT I could mount my iPhone above my apple monitor then "take over" control of the iPhone. But being that it changes the settings it wont work. Thanks for your help.

When I try and record directly in FCP my voice is not synced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.